Malta International Airport (MLA) is the only airport in Malta and it serves the entire Maltese archipelago. It is located in Luca, small village in the Southern Region of Malta, only 5 kilometres from the capital, Valletta. Compared to other European airports, Malta Airport is not that large in terms of number of passengers, however, the numbers have been increasing over the past few years. Ever since Ryanair has introduced flights to Malta, the numbers jumped from 3.5 million passengers to 5 million passengers annually in 5 years span.
How to get from Malta Airport to other places on Malta
If you don’t want to worry how to get from Malta Airport to the rest of the island, the best option is to book a minibus. For 10€ minibus shuttle will take you directly to your destination (public buses take time since there are a lot of stops). Luggage transportation is guaranteed and you can use free Wi-Fi. Here are some of the shuttle buses from Malta Airport:
|Malta Airport to St Julian’s||Malta Airport to St Paul’s Bay||Malta Airport to Gozo|
|Malta Airport to Valletta||Malta Airport to Gawra||Malta Airport to Sliema|
Transportation from Malta Airport is operated by Malta Public Transport and there are currently 6 bus lines running to and from the airport (and one night line). The bus terminal is located in front of Departures Hall:
- X1 – from Malta Airport to Cirkewwa → runs approximately every 30-40 minutes, first departure is at 05:20 and last one at 22:50
- X2 – from Malta Airport to San Giljan → runs every hour from 06:00 to 23:00
- TD2 – from Malta Airport to San Giljan → also runs every hour from 04:30 to 23:30 but this route is shorter and it take only 30 minutes to reach San Giljan (St Julian’s)
- X3 – from Malta Airport to Bugibba → every hour from 05:30 to 22:30
- X4 – from Malta Airport to Birzebugga → the bus departs from bus terminal in Valletta, approximate travel time to the airport is 25 minutes. First bus departs at 10:35 and last one at 22:35
N71 → a night line connecting airport and San Giljan; it departs from San Giljan to the airport and then circles back to San Giljan. Runs every half hour from 23:30:00 to 03:30 (time when arrives at the airport).
NOTE: You can buy tickets at the airport office or directly from the bus driver. One-way ticket costs €1.50 for all bus lines and it is valid for 2 hours. (€2.00 during summer season). Ticket for night bus lines costs €3.00.
Official airport taxis are available 24/7 and they’re located in front of the airport. The average taxi fare to Valleta is €15, to Mdina €18 and to Mellieha €29.50.
Private transfer is a good option if you do not prefer public transportation or if you are coming with family or friends. It is advisable to book transfer online so that the driver can wait for you when you arrive at the airport.
Renting a car at Malta Airport
Since Malta is relatively small island, it would not be bad to rent a car and do a little trip on your own. You can either book your car online or rent it directly at the airport where you will find offices of Budget Car and Aquarius rental companies.
NOTE: In Malta people drive on the left side of the road (like in United Kingdom and Ireland).
Accommodation near Malta Airport
There are no hotels in the proximity of the airport, check the nearby accommodation below:
Malta Airport FAQs
- Q: I arrive late at the airport. Will it be a problem for me to get to the city?
A: Not at all. Buses run regularly throughout the day and if you arrive at the airport after midnight, there’s a night bus line N10 which stops at the airport every half hour in the period between 01:00 and 04:00.
- Q: Can I exchange money at the airport to pay for my transfer?
A:There are only few ATMs at the airport but there is no exchange office so you should already have some euros on you before your flight.
- Is there free WiFi at Malta Airport?
Yes, the airport provides free unlimited WiFi internet connection.
- Q: How do I get from Malta Airport to Gozo and Comino?
A: Ferry port in Cirkewwa is the main ferry terminal for ferries from Malta to the islands of Gozo and Comino. There is a direct bus line (X1) from Malta Airport to Cirkewwa Port and it departs every 40 minutes.