Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport, or the Roissy Airport, is the French biggest international airport. It is situated 25 km to the northeast of the city of Paris. Last year, the airport counted over 72 million passengers, which makes it world’s tenth and Europe’s second busiest airport (London Heathrow is the number one).
How to get from Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport to Paris
The airport is well-connected to the city centre, therefore you can choose between airport shuttle, train or bus.
RER B: links the airport to Paris and its suburbs. The station CDG 1 is intended for terminals 1 and 3, while the CDG station nr. 2 serves for terminals 2 ACDEF and G (the 2G terminal is connected to 2F by free N2 shuttle). The journey takes approximately 35 minutes and the price per ticket is 9,75 €.
SNCF main line: the station ‘Aéroport Charles de Gaulle 2 – TGV’ is located between terminals 2C-2D and 2E-2F. Terminals 2A,C,D,E,F are accessible via the moving walkways (10-minute walk) or the free N1 shuttle (at level 5). The 2G terminal is linked to 2F via N2 shuttle, too. For terminals 1 and 3 take the free CDGVAL shuttle train.
CDGVAL shuttle train: it allows you to move around the airport. In only 8 minutes it connects terminals 1, 2, 3 + RER-TGV railway stations + PR, PX remote car parks. The train departs every 4 minutes in the period between 04:00 a.m. and 01:00 a.m. It is free and no ticket is necessary.
The bus stops are situated at terminals 1,2A-2C, 2D, 2E-2F.
- Line 2: makes a connection between the centre of Paris (Étoile, Porte Maillot, Trocadéro, Eiffel Tower) and Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport. The journey takes 45 – 60 min (70 to Eiffel Tower). A ticket fee is 17€ one way, 30€ for a return ticket.
- Line 3: provides a link between CDG airport and Paris-Orly Airport. The stops at the Orly airport are at the arrival levels at the Gate L (South) and Gate D (West). The travel time is 70 – 80 minutes. A ticket per person is 21€ one way, 36€ both ways. Children under 4 years of age travel for free.
- Line 4: the line connects the Paris city centre (Gare de Lyon and Gare Montparnasse) to the CDG airport. The journey is 60 – 70 minute long and the one way ticket costs 18€, while return one costs 31€.
You can choose among few shuttle buses which travel on the route between the city centre and the airport.
- Roissybus: connects the centre (Opera station) to the CDG airport. The travel duration is 60 – minute long and a ticket fare is around 13€.
- 350 Bus: provides a link between Paris (gare de l’Est) and the airport. A single ticket for an hour long journey costs around 6€.
- 351 Bus: connects the airport to Paris (Nation). The journey is 70-minute long and costs around 6€ as well.
- 19 Bus: the line goes on a route Torcy RER – Roissy pole RER. The price of around 2€ per ticket makes it the most economical option. It is a 70-minute drive as well.
- Noctilien Night Bus: the airport is linked to the Corbeil-Essonnes railway station by the Noctilien night bus line 120, to the La Verrière railway station by line 121, and to the Paris-Gare de l’Est railway station by line 140. Depending on the traffic conditions and your exit stop, the journey may vary from 30 – 60 minutes. A ticket costs around 8€.
- VEA (Magic Shuttle): the shuttle connects the airport to Disneyland Hotels and Disneyland Paris Theme Parcs in 45 minutes for a price of around 23€ (adult) and 10€ (children).
- Fileo Roissy: an on-demand transport service runs 24/7 to and from the airport. The service has 6 lines operating in 16 towns in the Val d’Oise, Seine-Saint-Denis and Seine-et-Marne departments. The ticket price varies from 1,15€ to 2,30 €.
In case you don’t want to depend on public transport schedules, you might want to call a taxi to take you from the airport to your destination. The taxi services are located at terminals 1, 2A, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, 3 and 2G at the exits of the baggage reclaim areas. The price is approximately 50€ (a bit more in case you’re going to the left Paris bank).
Another way to travel to Paris is with a private, door-to-door transfer from Paris Airport to your accommodation in the city.
You can pre-book a private transfer for a hassle-free experience, professional driver will wait for you at the airport and take you to your destination.
Renting a car at Charles de Gaulle Airport
If you prefer reaching and exploring the city by yourself, you should rent a car online or do it on the spot: most of the car-rental companies like Goldcar, Sixt and Goldcar are located at terminals 1 and 2C.
Renting a bus at Charles de Gaulle airport
If you arrived with a larger group of people, consider renting a bus since one car would probably not be enough.
Accommodation near Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport
Charles de Gaulle Airport – FAQs
No, there are many bus and train lines running until midnight and in early hours, but in case you miss all of them, you can take a cab for a bit spicy (considering the public transport) price of approximately 50€.
Of course, you can find (and even book online in advance) hotels like CitizenM Paris CDG Airport, Mercure Paris CDG Airport et Convention (both only 200 m away) or Hilton Paris CDG Airport Hotel (0.3 km).
Yes, of course. The best way to do so is to take the bus or train which take you directly from the airport to the city centre and is the most convenient way of transportation. Another good thing is that you can leave your stuff at the central lockers located at the CDGVAL station’s exit, near the RER train station. The service is available every day from 06:00 a.m. to 09:30 p.m.
No, if you want to explore places outside Paris, first you have to come to the city center from the airport and there you switch to bus or train for some other destinations, e.g. Paris to Lyon, Paris to Nice, Paris to Marseilles, Paris to Strasbourg, etc. You can check all of the possible connections on the website GetByBus.
Yes, there are several exchange offices and ATMs at the airport, working 24/7, but it would be better to exchange the money before the trip and have some euros on you since the rate will be a lot higher on the spot and no currency other than euro is accepted.