The international M. R. Štefanik Airport (Letisko) in Bratislava is located 9 km northeast of Bratislava city centre. It is within one hour drive from Vienna (Austria), Brno (Czech Republic) and Gyor (Hungary). It is the main airport of Slovakia counting more than 2 million passengers annually. The official website of the airport offers the most important information on its terminals and gates, arrivals and departures.
How to get from Bratislava Airport to Bratislava
You can go to and from the city airport by means of bus.
- Bus no. 61 links Bratislava airport with the city centre from the Main Railway Station (Hlavná železničná stanica): timetable.
- Bus no. 96 goes to the airport from the direction of Petržalka, Prokofievova: timetable.
- Night line N61 provides direct connection between Bratislava Airport, International bus station Mlynské nivy (Autobusová stanica) and Main railway station (Hlavná stanica: timetable.
- The trip from the airport usually lasts 30-60 min.
- One single ticket costs 0,90 €.
- No currency other than euro is accepted.
International bus connection
If you intend to go to Vienna after the flight, you can take the bus located in front of the Arrivals Terminal. You can buy the ticket from the driver or online.
- The first bus leaves at 8:30 a.m. and the last one at 9:35 p.m. The timetable will help you find the most convenient route for you depending on your time of arrival or departure.
- The bus route is: Bratislava Letisko airport – Mlynské nivy (bus station) – Hlavná železničná stanica (railway station) – Vienna Schwechat airport – Sudtiroler Platz.
- The journey takes about 2 hours.
Another way to travel to Bratislava is with a private, door-to-door transfer from Bratislava Airport to your accommodation in the city.
To explore transfers to most popular destinations, visit Bratislava Airport taxi & transfer page.
You can also pre-book a transfer to almost any city in Slovakia from Airport Bratislava that you would like to visit for a hassle-free experience.
You will find a list of the most popular transfer routes from Bratislava Airport below where you can pre-book your private transfer and pay on arrival.
Bratislava has 20 taxi companies, many of which can be found at the airport in the taxi area. The price varies, from 8€ to 20€ per direction, so either negotiate the price before entering the vehicle or ask someone to call a taxi for you.
Renting a car at Bratislava Airport
In case you want to rent a car and get to the city by yourself, rent a car at low prices. You can either pre-book it in advance or do it on the spot in the public area of the Arrivals terminal where the offices of car-rental companies such as Avis, Sixt, Payless, Alamo and others are located.
Renting a bus at Bratislava Airport
If you planned a holiday with a larger group of friends or relatives, one car may not be enough so you should consider renting a bus.
Accommodation near Bratislava Airport
Bratislava Airport FAQs
- I arrive late at the airport. Will it be a problem for me to get to the city?
No, there are buses driving from 4:00 a.m. until 23:30 p.m. If you miss all of them, you can always order a taxi which is not too expensive.
- I have an early morning departure from the airport, are there any airport hotels I can stay at?
Yes, there is the Aviator Garni Hotel within walking distance (500 m) from the airport. It offers cheap accommodation, free Wi-Fi, luggage storage and 24h open front desk.
- I would like to spend one day in Bratislava in between flights. Is that possible?
Yes, of course. The best way to do so is to take the city bus which takes you directly from the airport to the city centre and is the cheapest way of transportation. Also, if you don’t feel like dragging your luggage around, you can easily leave it at the airport since there is a 24h open luggage storage at Terminal A Parking Lot.
- I am continuing my journey outside Bratislava. Are there any direct lines from the airport to other cities?
As mentioned above there is a direct bus line to Vienna, if you wish to travel e.g from Bratislava to Zagreb, Bratislava to Prague or Bratislava to Budapest, you will have to take the airport bus to either the main bus terminal or the central railway station, from there you have internal connection to most european countries.
- Can I exchange the money at the airport to pay for my transfer?
Yes, there are several exchange offices and ATMs at the airport, working 24/7, but it would be better to exchange the money before the trip and have some euros on you since the rate will be a lot higher on the spot and no currency other than euro is accepted.