Santorini (Thira) Airport (JTR) is an international airport in Santorini/Thira, Greece, located north of Kamari village, about 6 km southeast of the center of Thira. It serves as a hub for Ryanair, Olympic Air and Aegean Airlines, along with seasonal scheduled and charter flights from other airlines during the higher seasons through the year. The airport handles about 2 million passengers per year.
How to get from Santorini Airport to Thira
Public bus in Santorini Airport is the only mode of public transportation. It is performed by KTEL company.
- A single fare from Santorini airport to Thira center costs €1.70.
- The buses are waiting outside the arrival hall (there is only one terminal).
- It is not possible to pre-purchase a bus ticket online. Drivers accept EUR currency and only cash. Passengers buy their ticket on board.
- On Weekends (Saturdays and Sundays) there are 3 scheduled journeys departing at 07:20, 10:10 and 15:10 from the airport.
- On Weekdays (from Monday to Friday) there are 4 scheduled journeys departing at 07:20, 10:10, 14:10 and 15:40 from the airport.
- The public bus service does not run in the late afternoon or during the night.
- The bus follows the route: Santorini airport – Karterados – Messaria – Fira Bus Station.
- The journey time is 20 minutes.
Local taxis are waiting outside the arrival hall. Although they are quite expensive, most people prefer taking a taxi instead of a public bus, since those are usually overcrowded and take much time to reach the city. However, don’t expect to pay less than €20. Licensed taxicabs are grey and can carry up to 4 passengers and they function on a first come, first served basis.
If you don’t like using the public transport and hesitate to take a taxi, consider booking a private transfer which will wait for you at the airport and take you to your destination. The transfer company will send a professional driver to pick you up. You can even pre-order a child safety seat if you’re traveling with a child.
Renting a car at Santorini Airport
For those who would prefer to reach the city and explore the area on their own, the best option is to rent a car directly at the airport. Three car hire companies currently operate at Santorini Airport with offices located at the Arrivals level. You’ll find the car rental desks located on the arrivals level. Compare their rental prices and save your time by booking your car online.
Renting a bus at Santorini Airport
Larger groups of passengers should consider renting a bus at the airport. However, it is recommended to book it online, so the bus rental companies have enough time to advise you on the meeting point and all other information.
Accommodation near Santorini Airport
Santorini Airport FAQs
- I arrive late at the airport. Will it be a problem for me to get to the city?
If you’re planning to rely on public transportation in order to reach the city, then yes, because public buses don’t operate in the late afternoon and in the evening. However, taxis are always available outside the terminal building, so hurry up and catch one, since they work on a first come, first served basis.
- I have an early morning departure from the airport, are there any airport hotels I can stay at?
Yes, you can stay at the Alafuzos which is no more than 10 meters away. The other ones in the circle of 1 kilometer are Mediterranean White, Blue Bay Villas and Okeanis Beach Hotel. If your luggage is heavy the transfer is recommended.
- Can I exchange money at the airport to pay for my transfer?
Yes, there is a OneXchange office situated in the arrivals hall, offering more than 50 currencies.