Liverpool Airport (LPL), also known as Liverpool John Lennon Airport is an international airport serving North West England. The airport is located 12 kilometres southeast of Liverpool city centre. Formerly called Speke Airport, this airport was renamed after the famous member of The Beatles in 2001. According to the statistics from 2018, the airport handled around 5 million passengers, making Liverpool Airport 12th busiest airport in the United Kingdom.
How to get from Liverpool Airport to Liverpool
Liverpool Airport is connected to the centre of Liverpool with shuttle bus AirLink 500. Bus runs to Liverpool One Bus Station every 30 minutes from 04:33 until 18:21 (from the airport). Bus also makes a stop at Liverpool South Parkway Station.
- Bus departs from stand 3 in front of the exit of Arrivals terminal.
- Journey time to Liverpool is around 35 minutes.
- One-way ticket costs £3.00.
- Check the timetable of departures and the list of all stops here.
Another option of reaching the centre of Liverpool is by Arriva city buses which run regularly on a daily basis. Here are the lines which you can choose from:
- 80A (via Liverpool South Parkway Station) – runs every 30 minutes from Liverpool Airport to Liverpool One Bus Station (makes stops at Estuary Business Park, Allerton, Princes Park Gates and Renshaw Street, Brownlow Hill)
- 86A (via Liverpool South Parkway Station) – runs every 20 minutes from Liverpool Airport and stops at Allerton, Smithdown Road, Lodge Lane and Upper Parliament Street, Liverpool Women’s Hospital
- 86C and 86D – almost the same route as 86A except these lines stop in Childwall Hope University Taggart Avenue
The price of a one-way adult ticket is £2.10 and £1.00 for young persons (age 5-18). Children under 5 travel for free.
All trains to Liverpool depart from Liverpool South Parkway Station which is easily reachable by any bus which connects Liverpool Airport with the city centre. Trains are direct and they run to Liverpool Central.
- Standard single ticket costs £3.60 while return ticket costs £4.20.
- Trains depart approximately every 15 minutes and journey time to Liverpool Central is 14 minutes.
- Trains operate every day from 06:00 until 00:00.
Should you need a fast transport to Liverpool, you can always find taxis at the taxi rand located outside the terminal exit. An average taxi fare to Liverpool centre costs around £18.00 and all taxis are wheelchair accessible.
Another way to reach the city center is by booking a private, door-to-door transfer from Liverpool John Lennon Airport to your accommodation. The price will always be fixed and your driver will wait for you outside the terminal building upon your flight arrival.
Renting a car at Liverpool Airport
All rent-a-car offices are located in building across the airport terminal building (next to Hampton by Hilton hotel). Passengers who would like to explore the Liverpool area on their own can find rental offices of companies such as Budget, Enterprise, Europcar, etc. To avoid possible waiting lines, we recommend booking a car online.
From Liverpool Airport to Manchester
Buses from Liverpool Airport to Manchester Central Bus Station operate every day and depart approximately every half hour. See all information such as ticket prices and schedule of departures in the table below:
|Liverpool Airport – Manchester||Manchester – Liverpool Airport|
Accommodation near Liverpool Airport
Hampton by Hilton Liverpool/John Lennon Airport is located less than 300 meters from the airport, vut it is not the only hotel in the closest vicinity of the airport. Check out the other options below:
Liverpool Airport – FAQs
- I arrive late at the airport. Will it be a problem for me to get to the city?
Not at all, shuttle buses operate 24/7 so there’s no fear you will get stuck at the airport in case of late flight arrival.
- Is there a free WiFi service available at Liverpool Airport?
Passengers have at their disposal 30 minutes of free Wi-Fi in the airport, and after that passengers will need to pay to continue using airport internet connection.
- Can I exchange money at Liverpool Airport?
Sure thing, there’s a Travelex money exchange office where you can buy British Pounds but just to be on the safe side, it is always better to have some cash on you prior to the flight.
- I am continuing my journey outside Liverpool. Are there any direct lines from the airport to other destinations?
Here are some of the most popular routes from Liverpool Airport. For other destinations, check Getbybus.com:
|Liverpool Airport – Heathrow Airport||Liverpool Airport – London||Liverpool Airport – Leeds|
|Liverpool Airport – Birmingham Airport||Liverpool Airport – Birmingham||Liverpool Airport – Milton Keynes|