Gran Canaria Airport (LPA) is located near the town of Telde, on the eastern part of Gran Canaria island. The airport is also known as Las Palmas or Gando Airport and it is the largest among the Canary Islands airports in terms of passenger traffic as it served more than 13 million people in 2018.
Gran Canaria Airport has currently one terminal, divided into three areas: Area A (for Schengen international flights), Area B (domestic flights to Spanish peninsula and non-Schengen flights), and Area C (inter-island flights within Canary Islands).
How to get from Gran Canaria Airport to other parts of Canary Islands
The airport is connected to many parts of the island by several bus lines. All the buses stop outside the Departures level of the main terminal. The tickets are purchased on board directly from the driver. You can check your ticket fare online.
- Route 1 – Bus 5: Las Palmas de Gran Canaria – Puerto de Mogán: the service runs every 20 minutes. To Las Palmas de Gran Canaria the bus runs from 05:25 am to 23:20 pm (Monday to Friday), and from 05:30 am to 02:45 am (Saturday and Sunday), and to Puerto de Mogán from 05:00 to 23:30 (every day).
- Route 11: Las Palmas de Gran Canaria – Agüimes: the service runs to Las Palmas de Gran Canaria from 05:30 am to 10:00 pm (Monday to Friday) and from 06:00 am to 10:00 pm (Saturdays and holidays), and to Agüimes from 05:50 am to 09:50 pm (every day).
- Route 36: Faro de Maspalomas – Telde: the service operates to Faro de Maspalomas from 05:40 am to 06:40 pm (daily), whereas you can reach Telde from 07:40 am to 08:40 pm (daily).
- Route 5: Las Palmas de Gran Canaria – Faro de Maspalomas: the service operates from 00:00 am to 11:00 pm (Monday to Friday, Sunday and holidays, but until 23:45 pm on Saturdays) in direction Faro, while you can go to Las Palmas from 00:05 am to 11:05 pm (daily).
- Route 60: Las Palmas de Gran Canaria – Gran Canaria Airport: the first departure to Las Palmas is at 06:15 am and the last at 11:15 pm, while the first bus to the airport from the capital runs at 05:15 am and the last 10:15 pm.
- Route 66: Faro de Maspalomas – Gran Canaria Airport: this service operates every 60 minutes from 07:20 am to 08:20 pm to Faro de Maspalomas, and from 06:20 am to 07:20 pm to Gran Canaria Airport.
- Route 90: Faro de Maspalomas – Telde: the bus runs every 60 minutes from 06:30 am to 08:30 pm to Faro de Maspalomas, and from 08:00 am to 10:00 pm to Telde.
- Route 91: Las Palmas de Gran Canaria – Playa del Cura: this line operates every 60 minutes from 06:30 am to 08:35 pm (Monday to Friday) and from 07:35 am to 08:35 pm (Saturdays and Sundays) to Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, and from 06:15 am to 08:15 pm to Playa del Cura.
If you prefer a comfortable ride over a crowded public transport, we recommend taking a taxi. The average trip time to get to downtown Las Palmas is 20 minutes. Keep in mind that official taxis are properly identified and you’ll easily identify them by colour – they are white with a blue and red stripe and the coat of arms of Las Palmas city. The taxi stop at Gran Canaria Airport is located in the Ground Level, in the Arrivals hall, but they can be located in different areas of the airport terminal as well, especially during the peak season. Taxi fares vary depending on your destination, so make sure to check it with the driver before starting the ride.
If you are not a fan of public transport and are hesitant to take a taxi, we recommend you to book a private transfer online which will wait for you at the airport and take you to your destination. You can even pre-order a child safety seat in case you are travelling with children.
Renting a car at Gran Canaria airport
For those who would prefer to reach the city and explore the area on their own, the best option is to rent a car directly at the airport. You can find the offices of major car rental companies in the Ground level of the main terminal. Compare rental prices in advance and book your car online.
Renting a bus at Gran Canaria airport
Larger groups of passengers should consider renting a bus at the airport. However, it is recommended to book it online, so the bus rental companies have enough time to advise you on the meeting point and all other information.
Hotels near Gran Canaria Airport
Gran Canaria Airport bus FAQs
You have several bus lines which operate until late hours at your disposal, but in case you can’t make it to any of them, keep in mind that there are taxis outside the Arrivals hall and they can take you to your destination 24/7.
Yes, there is currency exchange office Exact Change (located 1st and 2nd levels), as well as ATMs of Banco Santander (First level: Departures hall, Boarding hall, Zone A), and of Caixa Bank (First level: Departures hall, Boarding hall).
Yes, as mentioned above there are several bus lines operating towards several island resorts directly from the airport. For any other destination, check the available routes at the central bus station.