Porto Airport (OPO), also known as Francisco Sá Carneiro Airport, is located 11km northwest of the Porto city centre, in the municipalities of Maia, Matosinhos and Vila do Conde. It is the second busiest airport in Portugal in terms of aircraft operations and passengers. The airport serves as a base for easyJet, TAP Portugal and TAP Express. In 2017 the airport handled almost 12 million passengers.
How to get from Porto Airport to Porto
You can choose between several shuttle bus companies which have connection between Porto Airport and Porto city centre (Porto Aliados station):
- The shuttle bus runs once an hour.
- See the driving schedule and buy your ticket online.
- The price of a one-way ticket is around 13€, the price depends on which company you choose.
- Every shuttle bus provides transportation of luggage and free Wi-Fi on board.
Due to its vicinity to the city of Porto, the airport is well-connected to the centre. You can choose between the metro or local buses.
Among five metro lines in Porto, the one heading to the airport is in purple color (line E). It’s the cheapest and the fastest way of reaching the city.
- Trains run approximately every 20 minutes (every 30 minutes on weekends and holidays).
- The metro station is at -1 level at the airport, opposite of the Arrivals hall.
- To use metro, you need to buy “Andante” ticket (at the airport post office, at any metro station, Pay Shop agents, ticket machines). The ticket itself costs €0.60 but to use it in metro, you need to “charge it” with tickets. At the departure station check how many zones will you need for your trip and according to that you will charge your ticket.
- The journey takes 30-35 minutes → see timetable
- NOTE: Every time you change lines, you must validate your ticket again.
- “Andante” tickets can also be used in buses.
Local buses at the Arrivals hall take you across the city and to the surrounding places in the region. You will find them at the bus station at the airport (operated by STCP bus company). Tickets can be bought on board (€2 for a single ticket) or you can use the previously mentioned Andante ticket.
- Line 601 (Airport – City centre, Cordoaria)
- Line 601 (City centre, Cordoaria – Airport)
- Line 602 (Airport – City centre, Cordoaria)
- Line 602 (City centre, Cordoaria – Airport)
- Line 604 (Airport – Porto, Hospital de São João)
- Line 604 (Porto, Hospital de São João – Airport)
If you want to avoid the hassle in public transport, we recommend you to take a taxi. There is a taxi rank outside the terminal building. A one way fare is around 30€, depending on your destination. However, expect to pay up to 20% more on weekends and in the evenings.
If you don’t like using the public transport and hesitate to take a taxi, consider booking a private transfer which will wait for you on the airport and take you to your hotel or wherever you need to go. The transfer company will send a professional driver to pick you up. You can even order a child safety seat if you’re traveling with a child.
Renting a car at Porto airport
For those of you who would like to reach the city and explore the area on your own, the best option is to rent a car directly at the airport. There are several car rental companies there, such as National, Hertz, Sixt, Europcar, Avis and Budget. They all have information desks in the Arrivals hall. Keep in mind that, in case you’re staying in Porto for several days, it’s cheaper to rent a car rather than use a taxi. Compare prices and save time by booking online.
Renting a bus at Porto airport
For larger groups of passengers, consider renting a bus at the airport. However, it is recommended to book it in advance, so the bus rental companies have enough time to advise you on the meeting point and all other information.
From Porto Airport to other cities in Portugal & Spain
There are several direct lines which operate from Porto Airport to other Portuguese and Spanish cities. These are just some of them:
|Porto Airport to Braga||Porto Airport to Vigo||Porto Airport to A Coruna|
|Porto Airport to Santiago De Compostela||Porto Airport to Pontevedra||Porto Airport to Seville|
Accommodation near Porto Airport
Porto Airport – FAQs
- I arrive late at the airport. Will it be a problem for me to get to the city?
No, the airport has an amazing connection with the city, you can choose among shuttles, local buses and metro. In any case, you can always take one of the taxis outside the terminal building.
- I have an early morning departure from the airport, are there any airport hotels I can stay at?
Yes, the closest hotel Moov Porto Norte is only 1.7km away and offers a cozy accommodation at an affordable price. You can also check in at BessaHotel Boavista which is 150m further and a perfect place to stay if you want to visit Casa da Musica (15min walk). Residencial Portofoz is at the same distance, although a bit harder to find. The booking includes breakfast and Wi-Fi.
- I would like to visit Porto in between flights. Is that possible?
Yes, it will take approximately 30 minutes to reach the city, but the airport is well-connected to the centre at all times of the day, so it should be no problem to go there and back within a day. You can leave your stuff at the luggage storage in the Departures area, open 05:00 – 23:00. The price is measured by the volume, so it can vary from 1.90€ to 5,73€. There are also lockers available in the Arrivals area. One locker costs at least 1.50€ for 4 hours.
- Can I exchange money at the airport to pay for my transfer?
Yes, you can exchange your money and also pick up some money at the ATM machines at the airport. There are ATMs available on all the floors throughout the passenger areas. There is also a full service bank and an exchange office.
- I am continuing my journey outside Porto. Are there any direct lines to other destinations?
As mentioned above, there are several cities in the region you can visit directly from the airport: Braga, Guimarães, Ponte de Lima, Lanheses, Viana do Castelo and few others. You can also visit the region of Galicia in Spain, more specifically Vigo and Santiago de Compostela for approx. 15€ per person.