Sarajevo Airport is the biggest airport in Bosnia & Herzegovina. It is located in Ilidža, 12 km southwest from the railway station. The airport handles around million passengers per year.
How to get from Sarajevo Airport to Sarajevo
There is a direct bus line from the airport to the city center (Baščaršija) operated by Centrotrans Eurolines. Buses run every day of the week and coincide with the flight schedule, a one-way ticket costs 5 BAM and 8 BAM is the price of a return ticket. Check the schedule and details in the table below.
|Sarajevo Airport to Sarajevo||Sarajevo to Sarajevo Airport|
The shuttle bus has 27 stops in total, departure point being Bentbasa Bus Parking and the last one being Sarajevo Airport.
- TO THE AIRPORT: Bentbasa, Vijecnica, Bascarsija, Katedrala, Banka, Park, Marijin Dvor, Muzeji, UNI Campus, Pofalici, Socijalno, D.Malta, Cengic Vila, Otoka, Alipasin Most, RTV dom, Alipasino polje, Nedzarici, Avaz, Dr. Silve Rizvanbegovic, Aleja Bosne Srebrene, Kurta Schorka, Airport
- FROM THE AIRPORT: Airport, Kurta Schorka, Aleja Bosne Srebrene, Dr. Silve Rizvanbegovic, Avaz, Nedzarici, Alipasino polje, RTV dom, Alipasin Most, Otoka, Cengic Vila, D.Malta, Socijalno, Pofalici, UNI Campus, Muzeji, Marijin Dvor, Skenderija, Posta (Post Office), Drvenija, Latinska Cuprija, Vijecnica (City Hall), Bentbasa
In the map below you can check the locations of the most important bus stops (bolded in black) to and from Sarajevo Airport. NOTE: Ticket price doesn’t change according to the stop where you board the bus/exit. It is always 5 BAM.
The other (and cheaper) option is to take trolleybuses 103 and 31e which depart near the airport (Dobrinja) and take you to the center of Sarajevo. Line 103 departs every 5 minutes and 31e departs every 15 minutes. Ticket costs 1.60 BAM if you buy it at the newsstand and 1.80 BAM if you buy it from the driver.
Booking a private transfer is definitely a safer option than a taxi and more suitable for bigger groups or families with children. Your driver will wait for you in front of the airport. Don’t worry if your flight is in delay, transfer companies are monitoring your flight.
Rent a car
Sarajevo Airport has several car rental agencies where you can rent a vehicle that suits best your needs. Here you can check the vehicles and the rental prices and book your vehicle.
Getting a taxi ride to Sarajevo center is way quicker option of transport, especially if you are in a hurry. You can take a taxi in front of the airport terminal; the price should be around 20 BAM but it is recommended to agree on the price before entering the vehicle.
In case you want to go somewhere next from Sarajevo, there are direct routes from main bus station in Sarajevo, here are some suggestions:
|Sarajevo – Mostar||Sarajevo – Travnik||Sarajevo – B. Luka||Sarajevo – Zenica|
|Sarajevo – Dubrovnik||Sarajevo – Split||Sarajevo – Zagreb||Sarajevo – Kotor|
Accommodation near Sarajevo Airport
Sarajevo Airport FAQs
- If arriving by bus to Lukovica, Sarajevo East bus station, is it possible to get off by the airport?
Buses which arrive from Serbia, Montenegro and Republika Srpska pass by the airport, so you can ask the driver to stop there.
- What is the fastest way to reach the main bus station in Sarajevo from the airport?
The fastest way is by private transfer booked in advance. A driver will wait for you at the airport with your name sign and take you to the desired address.
- How to reach Mostar and Medjugorje?
There are regular bus lines to Mostar and Medjugorje from the main bus station in Sarajevo. Except for the bus lines, it is possible to book a transfer.
- Do taxi drivers use taximetres?
By law they should, but there are exceptions.
- I travel with a baby; can I be sure that taxis have a child seat?
Some taxis do but to be sure it is better to book a private transfer in advance with a note that you will need a child seat.
- Is it possible to pay for the transfer from the airport in euros, dollars or sterling?
The only currency allowed by law is the Convertible Mark but there are exceptions. Private transfer drivers and taxi drivers will accept euros (dollars and sterling not always). If you do not give the correct amount of money, the rest will be given to you in Convertible Marks.
If you are not sure where to find main bus stations in the mentioned cities, you can use the Station locator on Getbybus.com where you will find all the info on the desired bus station.