East Midlands Airport is an international airport in England, located in Leicestershire close to Castle Donington. It serves as an airport for the cities of Derby (22 km), Nottingham (24 km) and Leicester (32 km). The airport is a hub for low-fare airlines like Ryanair adn Jet2.com. It is the 11th busiest airport in the UK in terms of passenger traffic. In 2016 the airport handled about 4.5 million passengers. However, it is a major air cargo hub, since it’s second busiest in the country by freight traffic, right after London Heathrow.
Getting to and from the East Midlands Airport
East Midlands Airport has an efficient connection with the rest of the region. When it comes to public transport, you’ll have no problems in reaching the airport or the city centre.
Connections are available to the north and south of the country from Derby, Nottingham and Long Eaton, with bus services to each station possible through regular Skylink bus services to and from the airport.
- Derby – the Skylink bus connects this station with the airport up to every 20 minutes, seven days a week, with a journey time of around 36 minutes.
- Nottingham – the Skylink bus connect this station with the airport every half an hour, seven days a week with a journey time of 30 minutes, stopping right outside the Station. Alternatively, the Nottingham Skylink operates up to every 20 minutes, seven days a week, with a journey time of 55 minutes departing from Broadmarsh Bus Station, just 5 minutes away from Nottingham Train Station. The bus stops directly outside the terminal building at the Airport.
- Long Eaton – the Skylink bus connects this station with the airport up to every 20 minutes, seven days a week, with a journey time of 20 minutes.
- See fares and timetables.
If you don’t feel like dragging around your luggage through the crowd in public transportation, take a taxi. You can find one at the taxi rank outside the Arrivals area at the airport. The fees vary depending on your destination, but don’t expect to pay under 25-30€ per direction.
Another way of traveling from the airtport is with a private, door-to-door transfer from East Midlands International Airport to your accommodation in the city. Transfer can be booked in advance and a professional driver will wait for you at the airport and take you to your destination. You can even pre-order a child safety seat if you’re travelling with a child. It may cost you probably the same as taxi or even more, but if there are people to share your transfer with, then this is the cheaper option.
Renting a car at East Midlands Airport
For those of you who would like to reach the city and explore the area on their own, the best option is to rent a car directly at the airport. Major car rental companies such as Hertz, National, Enterprise and Europcar offer their services there. Compare their prices and avoid waiting in line by booking online.
Renting a bus at East Midlands Airport
If you’re coming in a larger group of people, consider renting a bus for your journey. Keep in mind to book it in advance, so the transfer company has enough time to inform you on the meeting point and all other relevant information.
Accommodation near East Midlands Airport
East Midlands Airport – FAQs
- I arrive late at the airport. Will it be a problem for me to get to the city?
No, buses drive on daily basis between the airport and the cities in the region. If you happen to miss your desired departure, don’t worry since there are taxis and private transfers at your disposal.
- I have an early morning departure from the airport, are there any airport hotels I can stay at?
Of course, there are several hotels to choose from. The cheapest one is Kegworth Hotel for 45€ per night, 2.5 km from the airport. The hotel houses great recreational facilities, including an air-conditioned gym. Also, it offers a full hot and cold buffet breakfast, and continental breakfasts are available in the room from 02:00 for those with early flights. Another option is Holiday Inn Express Hotel at the price of 62€ per night, which has beautiful views of the Derbyshire countryside. You can also check in at Jurys Inn Hotel where you can enjoy free use of the leisure facilities including the pool, gym, sauna and steam room. Derby, Leicester and Nottingham are 15-30 minute away.
- I would like to visit East Midlands region in between flights. Is that possible?
Yes, it’s possible, it doesn’t matter whether you travel to Derby, Nottingham or Leicester because the services run from Monday to Sunday and you can reach each of the cities in less than 40 minutes. Just make sure to check out the timetable on the Central Station in order not to miss your flight.
- Can I exchange money at the airport to pay for my transfer?
Yes, you can exchange your money, but you can also pick up money at the ATM machines. which are located throughout all terminals at East Midlands Airport and are open from the first to the last flight every day. Travelex ATMs dispense British Pounds, Euros and US Dollars.
- I am continuing my journey outside the East Midlands region. Are there any direct lines to other destinations?
Yes, it is possible to connect at East Midlands Parkway for journeys to and from destinations outside the East Midlands region. This station is served by a Parkway Railink operating every day from 09:00 am to 05:00 pm hourly (and on request outside of these hours). Check out the timetable.