Cologne Bonn Airport (CGN) is the international airport serving the cities of Cologne and Bonn. It is the seventh busiest airport in Germany in terms of number of passengers with around 12.5 million passengers annually. The airport is also called Konrad Adenauer Airport after the first Chancellor of West Germany. The airport is located in Porz district, about 15 kilometres southeast of Cologne and 16 kilometres northeast of Bonn.
How to get from Cologne Bonn Airport to Cologne and Bonn
- Bus line 161 departs from Cologne Bonn Airport to the Portz Markt in Cologne (main Rail station) every 30 – 60 min from 04:18 to 23:48. Travel time is 15 minutes and one ticket costs 3€.
- Bus line SB 60 departs from Cologne Bonn Airport to Bonn bus station. Travel time is 30 minutes and the ticket costs around €8.20.
Cologne Bonn Airport is connected to the main station in Cologne and Bonn by high speed train lines and there are several lines from the airport train station which will take you to either Cologne or Bonn:
to Cologne (main train station):
- Lines S13 and S19 (Düren Bf)
- Line RE6 (Minden Hbf)
- Line RE8 (Mönchengladbach Hbf)
- One-way ticket to Cologne costs around €3.00 and travel time is around 15 minutes.
- Trains depart every 10-15 minutes from the airport train station.
- Line RE8 (Koblenz Hbf) – this line does not go directly to Bonn train station, instead you need to get off the train at Bonn-Beuel stop and switch to bus line 62 in direction to Quirinusplatz (walk around 5 minutes)
- Travel time is 42 minutes and the ticket costs around €8.00
NOTE: You can check departures from Cologne Bonn Airport here, but you need to type in departure point (Köln/Bonn Flughafen Bf) and arrival point (Köln Hbf or Bonn Hbf) to see the timetable.
There are official airport taxis waiting outside the terminal which are available 24/7. The average taxi fare to Cologne is around €27 and to Bonn around €40. The travel time to both cities is around 15 minutes.
Another way of traveling to Cologne or Bonn is with a private, door-to-door transfer from Cologne Bonn International Airport to your accommodation in the city. Transfer can be booked in advance and a professional driver will wait for you at the airport and take you to your destination.
Renting a car at Cologne Bonn Airport
If you have decided in last minute that you need a car, or you are just not that fond of booking online, there are car rental companies like Sixt, Europcar and Hertz which have their offices at T2 / D Arrivals.
Renting a bus at Cologne Bonn Airport
It is possible to rent coaches which will wait for you at the airport. You can pick a minibus up to 25 seats or a coach up to 55 seats (or a double decker up to 75 seats). However, booking in advance is necessary so that the rental company could arrange all the details.
Accommodation near Cologne Bonn Airport
Cologne Bonn Airport – FAQ
- I arrive late at the airport. Will it be a problem for me to get to the city?
Not at all. Trains to Cologne run 24/7 so you don’t have to be afraid of getting stuck at the airport. However, last bus to Bonn departs from the airport at 00:56 and the next one departs at 04:24. If you don’t want to wait a three hour gap, there is always a possibility of getting a taxi.
- I have an early morning departure from the airport, are there any airport hotels I can stay at?
Yes, there are two hotels near Cologne Bonn Airport which are a good option for last-minute accommodation: Leonardo Hotel Köln Bonn Airport (4*) and Airport Hotel by the New Yorker (3*).
- I would like to visit Cologne/Bonn in between flights. Is that possible?
Of course it is possible. Trains are very frequent throughout the day and travel time is 15-30 minutes so if you are looking to spend several hours to do a mini sightseeing tour, it won’t be a problem.
- Can I exchange money at the airport to pay for my transfer?
Sure thing. There is Reisebank office at the airport where you can exchange money and also several cash machines where you can withdraw money. However, it is advisable to already have some euros on you since the currency rates can be a lot higher at the airport.
- I am continuing my journey outside Cologne/Bonn. Are there any direct bus lines from the airport?
Yes, there is a special terminal for long-distance coaches where bus companies like Flixbus, Eurolines and CityBus Express have their gates so you can directly travel to other destinations from Cologne Bonn Airport. Another option is to take a bus from Cologne main bus station (you can check all the departures from Cologne on getbybus.com).