Pisa Airport, also known as Galileo Galilei Airport, is located in Pisa, only 1 km from the city centre, and stands for the main airport in Tuscany.
In 2018 the airport, which serves as a hub of Ryanair, hosted more than 5 million passengers.
How to get from Pisa airport to nearby destinations
Travelling to and from the airport is easy, due to its vicinity, and there are several options to choose from.
From Pisa Central Station you can arrive to any destination of the Italian railway network.
PisaMover line links the Pisa Airport to the Central Station on a daily basis.
- The journey time is 5 minutes and the train makes one stop at San Giusto/Aurelia station.
- The PisaMover operates from 04:30 to 01:30. During the day the shuttle departs approximately every 7 minutes while early in the morning and late in the night it departs every 15 minutes.
- Tickets for PisaMover can be bought from ticket machines at the airport, at Pisa Central and at San Giusto/Aurelia station.
- One-way ticket costs €2.70
As an alternative to PisaMover, you can use local bus line E3 (Pisa-Aeroporto Galilei-San Giuliano Terme-Ripafratta-Santa Maria Giudice-Lucca)
- First bus departs departs from the airport at 06:20 and last one at 20:17 (on holidays the first one is at 09:00 and the last one at 21:00)
- Buses departs approximately every half hour.
- Ticket can be bought on board and it costs €2.50
The taxi service is run by CO.TA.PI (Taxi Pisa Cooperative).
The average fee varies from 6,30 € to 10,00 € (2,55 € extra on Sundays and holidays and between 23:00 and 06:00.
At the airport taxis are located in front of the terminal exit, in the arrivals area.
Another way to travel is with a private, door-to-door transfer from Pisa Airport to your accommodation in the city.
To explore transfers to most popular destinations, visit Pisa Airport taxi & transfer page.
You can also pre-book a transfer to almost any city in Italy from Airport Pisa that you would like to visit for a hassle-free experience.
You will find a list of the most popular transfer routes from Pisa Airport below where you can pre-book your private transfer and pay on arrival.
- NOTE: The prices displayed in the table above are per person (Minibus for up to 8 Passengers) and NOT per vehicle.
Renting a car at Pisa Airport
There are several car rental companies located at and around the airport, mostly local companies and few larger companies – Sixt, Europcar, etc.
The easiest way to rent a car is to compare the prices and book it online.
Renting a bus at Pisa Airport
If you are a group arriving to the airport, you might consider renting a bus prior to your arrival.
It is a good option if you want to explore other parts of Tuscany as well.
Note that the bus has to be booked in advance, and the bus rental companies will advise you on the meeting point/pick-up point.
Other destinations from Pisa Airport
From PSA to Florence: There are coaches linking Pisa Airport to Florence on a daily basis. The travel time is 1 hour and the bus stops at Piazzale Montelungo in Florence.
- One-way ticket costs €14.
- Check here timetable and buy ticket online.
From PSA to Lucca: Vai Bus by Autolinee F.lli Lazzi connects Pisa Airport to Lucca and Pietrasanta.
- There are 5 stops on the route: Aeroporto Galilei – San Giuliano Terme – Ripafratta – Santa Maria Giudice -Lucca
- The journey takes 60 min.
From PSA to Viareggio / Pietrasanta: The Vai Bus also connects the airport to Viareggio and Pietrasanta on the following route:
- line E25: Pisa Airport – Pisa – Torre del Lago – Aurelia – Stazione FS – Viareggio – Lido di Camaiore – Ospedale Versilia – Pietrasanta
- The ticket costs €2.50 and it can be bought on board.
From PSA to Florence Airport: If you decide to go by bus, the coach transfer service Sky Bus Line run by Caronna Tour leave every day via highway A11 with stops at Montecatini Terme, Pistoia and Prato.
- Organize your trip and check out the schedule.
- The journey takes 1h 50 min.
- A single ticket costs 14,00 €.
Pisa Airport Bus FAQs
- I arrive late at the airport. Will it be a problem for me to get to the city?
Of course not, the airport is only 1 km away from the city so if you really miss all shuttles, you can always take a taxi which should not cost more than 10,00 €.
- I have an early morning departure from the airport, are there any airport hotels I can stay at?
Yes, you can go to Hotel Galilei (1.6 km away) or Hotel Moderno (1.9 km). They offer full room equipment and free Wi-Fi. However, for the vicinity of the airport to the city, the best option is to take a taxi and book a hotel in the city which gives you a possibility to even explore the city a bit.
- I would like to spend one day in Pisa in between flights. Is that possible?
Yes, of course. The best way to do so is to take the bus or train which take you directly from the airport to the city centre and is the most convenient way of transportation. Also, if you don’t feel like dragging your luggage around, you can easily leave it at the airport since there is luggage storage located within the information office. You can leave it there every day, including holidays. The daily fee per item is 7,00 €.
- I am continuing my journey outside Pisa. Are there any direct lines from the airport to other cities?
Yes, you can visit Florence, Siena, Lucca and even go to the Florence Airport if necessary. For other connections you ought to go to Pisa city centre, to the Central Station, and check out other connections, e.g. Pisa to Rome.
- Can I exchange the money at the airport to pay for my transfer?
Yes, there are several exchange offices and ATMs at the airport, working 24/7, but it would be better to exchange the money before the trip and have some euros on you since the rate will be a lot higher on the spot and no currency other than euro is accepted.