The World of Wonders, amusement park Efteling, is located in Kaatsheuvel, Netherlands. It is a unique theme park with a fairytale atmosphere, surrounded by forest offering a wide range of attractions. It covers an area of 2 000 000 m2 and it is divided into five areas or ‘realms’, each having its own theme and attractions. Being one of the oldest amusement parks in the world, it is no wonder that even today Efteling attracts numbers of visitors, both children and adults. If you wish to go on an adventure of your own, head to Efteling and see what it has to offer!
Before you go
Luckily for everyone, Efteling is open all year round, and it is enchanting during all of the seasons. Before you head to Efteling check out their calendar so you can see the opening hours and expected crowds on the day of your visit. During your visit you can consult their app if you need help finding one of the attractions, rides or for up-to-date information. Also, you can buy tickets online (at a reduced price!). If you plan to spend the night at Efteling you can book your stay in one of their hotel rooms, holiday homes or apartments. When it comes to food, there are plenty of restaurants inside the park, but you can always bring your own food and drinks, however, it is not permitted to consume it in the park’s catering locations and terraces.
Getting to the Efteling theme park
Luckily for you the Efteling park is only 100 km from Amsterdam, so it will definitely make a great day trip. Whether you are travelling by public transport or your own car reaching the World of Wonders is quite simple.
- Train + bus: From Amsterdam take the train to ‘s-Hertogenbosch, bus lines that go from there to Efteling are lines 300, 301, 136 and 800. Get off at the Efteling bus stop
- If you are travelling by car, parking tickets can be bought online or in the park (at a price of around €10)
- You can always check their website for more information
What not to miss
Efteling has much more to offer than just rides, from haunted houses, playgrounds, free shows and animated scenes to forest paths – everyone can find something to enjoy. Whether you are visiting with kids or alone, and whether you are a daredevil or just wish to enjoy the magic scenery, pay a visit to this magical world and you won’t regret it. Here are some of the attractions in Efteling that you should not miss:
- Droomvlucht (Dream Flight) – the most famous attraction of the park
- The Fairytale Forest – the oldest and most enchanting area of the park, during the summer it is also home to a free open-air theatre
- Spectacular Aquanura – the biggest water show in Europe and third in the world
- Free park show Ravelijn – held between 5th April and 7th January
- Winter in Efteling – during the winter months the whole park turns into a magical winter wonderland with special winter events and attractions
- Volk van Laaf village – in a fairly quiet part of the park, animatronics and a ride
- Anton Pieckplein – romantic Dutch square with classic merry-go rounds, cute shops and dining and the Efteling Museum
- Diorama – sixty meter long display containing a complete miniature world
- Stoomtrein – steam train station of real steam trains which takes you around the park (arrives about every 20 minutes)
- Joris en de Draak (George and the Dragon) – a wooden coaster with two different tracks
- The Flying Dutchman – unique combination of walk-through, dark ride, coaster and water splash ride
- Baron 1898 – one of the most elaborately themed dive coasters in the world
- Villa Volta rotating house
- Spookslot haunted house
Tickets and working hours
Efteling offers a range of tickets, and if you buy tickets online, you receive €2 discount. For children under the age of 4 entrance is free. Inside the park all attractions and shows are free (except for the Game Gallery and Efteling Theater).
- Low season ticket: €40 (without the discount)
- All season ticket: €42 (without the discount)
- Annual ticket: €190 (ages 4-59), €165 (ages 60+)
For more information on tickets click here.
Normally Efteling is open from 10:00 till 18:00, in the summer to 20:00 and on specific days even till midnight.
Efteling offers several possibilities if you wish to spend the night at the park. Efteling Hotel and Bosrijk offer high quality, where Loonsche Land is more budget friendly. There are some privileges you get if you decide to use park’s accommodation, such as free parking, discounts and reserved seats for the Raveleijn. You can get a 15% discount if you book your stay at least 4 months in advance, and there are always last minute deals. For more information click here.