Rio de Janeiro Airport (GIG), also known as Galeão – Antonio Carlos Jobim International Airport is an airport serving Rio de Janeiro, the second-most populous city in Brazil. With about 15 million passengers per year, the airport is among the five busiest airports in Brazil. It also serves as a hub for Gol Transportes Aereos. The airport is about 17 km away from the city centre of Rio de Janeiro with several ways to get to and from.
How to get from Galeão Airport to Rio de Janeiro
BRT or Bus Rapid Transport is a fast shuttle bus service that moves through exclusive lanes. There are two lines that operate to and from the airport:
- TransCarioca – The bus makes a stop at more than 50 bus stops and stations along the way, including the airport terminals.
- TransCarioca Express – The bus line is faster as it stops at only several bus stops: Terminal Alvorada, Fundão Terminal, Vicente de Carvalho Station and Madureira.
There are two bus stations where passengers can board the bus, in Terminal 1 arrivals and Terminal 2 arrivals. The price of a regular one-way ticket is around 4,00 R$ (~€0,60). The service is available 24/7.
Besides the shuttle bus, there are more bus lines operating from the airport to different locations, here are some of them:
- 1001 Viação 760D: Charitas – Galeão Airport
- 1001 Viação 1900D: Charitas – Galeão Airport (Mon-Fri, more comfrotable)
- 1001 Viação 1900D: Galeão Airport – Búzios
The price of a ticket ranges from about 8,00 R$ (~€1,10) to 70,00 R$ (~€10,00), depending on the line. Bus lines operate from early morning hours till evening hours.
- Paranapuan 915: Galeão Airport – Bonsucesso
- Paranapuan 922: Galeão Airport – Tubiacanga
- Paranapuan 924: Galeão Airport – Bananal
- Ideal 925: Galeão Airport – Bancários
The price of a ticket for all lines is about 4,00 R$ (~€0,60).
There are two metro lines operating from Rio de Janeiro, however, they are integrated with BRT service:
- Metro Line 2 – The line operates between Rio and Vicente de Carvalho station, from the station you continue by BRT service to Galeão Airport.
- Metro Line 4 – The line operates between Rio and Jardim Oceanico station, from the station you continue by BRT service to Galeão Airport.
The metro lines operate from 5:00 am to midnight (Mon-Sat) and 7:00 am to 11:00 pm (Sun). The price of a ticket is about 4,50 R$ (~€0,60).
Getting from Galeão Airport to the city by taxi is a convenient way for those who don’t like using public transport. You will find several taxi companies in the arrivals zone of Terminal 2. Some of the companies are Aerotáxi, Aerocoop, Cootramo, Transcoopass etc. UBER is available at the airport as well. The service is available 24/7 and the price from the airport to the city starts from about €30.
Another way to travel from Rio de Janeiro Galeão Airport is with a private, door-to-door transfer directly to your accommodation in the city. You can pre-book a transfer for a hassle-free experience, a professional driver will wait for you at the airport and take you to your destination.
Renting a car
For those who prefer to explore the area on their own, the best option would be to rent a car directly at the airport. You will find offices of several rental agencies in the Terminal 2 arrivals zone. However, you can always rent a car online and avoid potential queues at the airport.
Renting a bus
Larger groups of passengers should consider renting a bus at the airport. However, it is recommended to book it online, so the bus rental companies have enough time to advise you on the meeting point and all other information.
FAQ – Rio de Janeiro Galeão Airport
That shouldn’t be a problem since BRT service operates 24/7 and many other lines operate till evening hours. Also, taxis and private transfers are at your disposal as well.
Yes, you will easily find several exchange offices, banks and ATMs throughout the airport.
Yes, the airport offers free unlimited WiFi service for passengers.
Yes, there is a luggage storage service available at Terminal 2, on the ground floor.
Yes, there are several bus lines operating from the airport and taking you to different places outside Rio. Check them above in the text. Of course, you can also search for all the desired routes directly on GetByBus.