Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (AMS) is the main international airport in the Netherlands, situated only 9 kilometres from the capital city, in Haarlemmermeer. If we talk about the number of passengers, it is the third busiest airport in Europe. The airport has one terminal, but three large departure halls. The busiest routes from Amsterdam Airport are to London, Barcelona, Paris and Rome.
How to get from Schiphol Airport to Amsterdam
Airport shuttle bus
Shuttle bus to the centre of Amsterdam is operated by Amsterdam Airport Express and currently two of their bus lines run to and from the airport:
Bus line 397 – the bus departs from platforms B15-19 every 7,5 mins and the last stop is the bus station Elandsgracht in Amsterdam, but it also makes stops at Museumplein, Rijksmuseum and Leidseplein. NOTE: This bus used to be nr.197!
- The price of one-way ticket is €6.50 and the price of the return ticket is €11.25.
- Tickets can be bought either online or directly from the bus driver.
- Find the schedule of departures to and from the airport here (simply write 397 in the search bar and set your desired date and time).
Bus line N97 – this line is basically the same as the previous, except it runs only during night and the last stop is Amsterdam Centraal → timetable (simply write N97 in the search bar and set your desired date and time).
Another option of reaching the city is by taking a local bus line 69 operated by GVB instead of a shuttle (which is more economical) and it will take you to the main bus station.
- The price of a 40-minute ticket is €3.20 and it can be bought at vending machines, online or directly from the driver. NOTE: It is not possible to buy tickets on board on night lines.
- We recommend purchasing a daily ticket which is very useful since you can drive for unlimited number of times during the day, and it will save you money. The price of a daily ticket is €8.
- The bus departs every 10 mins from Schiphol Airport Plaza – check here the timetable
The airport has its own railway station as well, and it is located directly below the terminal of Schiphol Airport and is operated by the Nederlandse Spoorwegen.
- The trains depart every 10 mins and reach the Amsterdam Centraal railway station in 14-17 mins (depending on whether it is Intercity Direct or Sprinter)
- The price of a one-way ticket is €4.50 (2nd class)
In case you carry a lot of luggage or you just want to avoid public transportation, then maybe opt for one of official taxis as a solution. Taxis are located in front of Schiphol Plaza. All of them have taximeters so watch out for those who don’t, so you don’t get overcharged.
Transfers are great alternative to taxis if you are afraid of overcharging and you want to feel more secure. Book your door-to-door transfer in advance and reach your destination in no time.
Renting a car at Schiphol Airport
If you want to drive around and enjoy every part of the city, or visit nearby cities, then why bother with public transportation? Car rental companies like Avis, Hertz and Thrifty are located right at the airport, but to avoid the queue, better book your car online.
Renting a bus at Schiphol Airport
A coach or a minibus is probably the most convenient option if you’re visiting Amsterdam in a larger group of people. Book your bus in advance so the bus rental company can organize the meeting, and pick-up point.
From AMS to the Hague: The best way to reach ‘the capital of international courts’ is by taking a train directly from the railway station at the airport.
- Trains are very frequent, every 10-15 minutes and the journey takes either 29 mins with Intercity or 53 mins with Sprinter.
- The price of a single ticket is 8.30€ (2nd class)
Accommodation near Schiphol Airport
Schiphol airport FAQs
Absolutely not, the airport is connected with the centre of Amsterdam in more than one way. You can choose between shuttles, local buses or trains, which are frequent during the day, and during the night you can take N97 bus line. So no worries of getting stuck at the airport!
Sure thing, you can stay overnight in several nearby hotels:
Mercure Hotel Schiphol Terminal (3*) – located 900m from the airport; provides free Wi-Fi connection
CitizenM Hotel Schiphol Airport (4*) – located right across the Schiphol Boulevard; free Wi-Fi
Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (4*) – 750m from the airport; free Wi-Fi and parking, offers laundry service
Of course it is possible, because the city centre is only 9 km from the airport. No one likes to drag around suitcases while exploring the city, so leave them at luggage storage at the airport for €6 a day.
Well, since the airport is very well connected you can get on a train to visit other Dutch cities, like Rotterdam or Groningen or you can check some of our most popular routes: Amsterdam – Antwerp, Amsterdam – Aachen or Amsterdam – Frankfurt and many other available at getbybus.com.
There are no offices, but there is ABN Amro bank where you can convert your money to euros. And there are also several ATMs of this bank at the airport. But we suggest exchanging the money before your trip and having some euros until getting to the city centre.