Warsaw Chopin Airport (WAW) is an international airport of the capital of Poland, located in the Włochy district. It is the busiest and the biggest airport in Poland, but not the only one serving Warsaw. The second one is Warsaw Modlin Airport, smaller and relatively new since it was open in 2012, and it is mainly used for low-cost flights. The most popular international routes from Warsaw Chopin Airport are London, Paris, Frankfurt and Amsterdam. Gdansk is the most busiest domestic route.
How to get from Chopin Airport to Warsaw
Airport shuttle bus
A shuttle bus from Warsaw Chopin to Warsaw Centre (Palace of Culture) runs several times daily and there’s also one night departure at 03:40. The first bus from Warsaw to the airport departs at 06:40. The buses are operated by OKbus/ModlinBus so look for buses which have that name written on them. The price of a one-way ticket is 5€ and it includes the transport of luggage as well.
Line 175 – connects Warsaw Chopin Airport and Al.Jerozolimskie (Main railway station)
- From 4:27 to 22:58 every 15/30 minutes (during daytime it is more frequent)
Line 188 – connects Warsaw Chopin Airport and Metro station Politechnika (city centre)
- Buses run from 4:47 to 23:18 → every 10 mins from 06:00-10:00 and then every 20 minutes
Line 148 – connects Chopin Airport with Ursynów-Praga (south/east of Warsaw)
- Buses run from 04:34 to 22:35 → every 15-20 minutes
Line 331 – connects Chopin Airport with Metro station Wilanowska
- From 06:13 to 17:54 → from 06:13 to 08:56 every 10 minutes, and then again departs from the airport at 13:54 every 15 minutes until 17:54
Night line N32 – connects Chopin Airport with Central Railway Station
- From 23:15 to 04:49 every half hour
- 3.40 PLN (2 zones) – valid for 20 minutes on all bus and train lines
- 4.40 PLN (1 zone) – valid for 75 minutes on all bus and train lines
- 7 PLN – single journey for 90 minutes
- 26 PLN – daily ticket
- NOTE: 1 PLN (Polish zloty) corresponds to ~0.2 EUR
Besides 5 bus lines, Chopin Airport is also connected with the city centre by two Szybka Kolej Miejska lines (Fast Urban Railway):
- Line S2 – from Chopin Airport to Sulejówek Miłosna station
- Line S3 – from Chopin Airport to Warszawa Centrum (the main railway station)
- Trains run frequently during the day, every 15 minutes
- Ticket prices are the same as those for buses (above listed)
- Tickets can be bought at Info desk in the Arrivals Hall, from ticket machines, from bus drivers
Comparing the prices from other European airports, taxis at Chopin airports are relatively cheap, for example, a ride to the Old Town will cost you approximately ~60 PLN (~13€). So, if you don’t prefer public transportation, get in the cab!
Good alternative to taxis is door-to-door transfer, especially if you’re travelling with family or friends. You can save up some money booking it in advance and you won’t get overcharged, which is sometimes often scenario with taxis.
Renting a car at Chopin airport
There are more than 10 car rental offices available at Chopin Airport, among which Avis, Hertz, Sixt, etc. Renting a car is a great idea if you are planning to visit local cities or if you just want to explore Warsaw on your own. You can also book you car online and have it ready for you outside the airport.
Renting a bus at Chopin airport
Should you come in a group of 10 or more, consider renting a coach or a minibus. We advise you to book it in advance to prepare all the details, such as meeting point, with the bus rental agency.
From WAW to Krakow:
- By train: First take a bus line 175 to the main train station (Centralna) and from there take an Intercity train to Krakow. 2nd class ticket prices vary from 59 to 135 PLN (depending on the time of day)
- By bus: By Lux Express buses departing from Marymont metro station → departs at 18:30, the price of a single ticket is 59 PLN
FAQ – bus and transport from Chopin Airport
Absolutely not, there is a wide range of possibilities of getting to the city and there is even a night line N23 which runs every half hour from 00:00 – 05:00 for those who arrive late.
Several accommodations in proximity of the airport are at your disposal to stay overnight:
Airport Hotel Okęcie (4*) – 1 km from the airport, easily accessible by bus line 175 (10 mins)
Hampton by Hilton Warsaw Airport (3*) – in the opposite direction of the previous hotel, just a couple of minutes of walking distance
Sure thing, because Chopin Airport is only 8 kilometres from the central railway station and easily reached by any means of public transport. If you don’t want to drag around you luggage, leave it in the luggage lockers located at Terminal A for 12-15 PLN a day.
ATMs can be found in both the Arrivals and Departures areas of the Chopin Airport, but it is good to have some PLN on you before the flight since the currency rates may be higher at the airport.
It is possible to reach Lodz by a direct bus from Warsaw Chopin Airport, or from Palace of Culture bus stop. Or you can choose among many other popular destinations like Wroclaw, Szczecin, Lublin or Bialystok. For more info, see getbybus.com.