Brussels South Charleroi Airport (CRL) is an international airport situated in Gosselies in southern Belgium.
The airport is located 50 km south of Brussels. Having served almost 8 million passengers in 2018, it is the country’s second busiest airport in terms of passenger traffic.
The airport offers connections to over 70 destinations (mostly European) and it handles many low-cost airlines like Ryanair and easyJet.
How to get from Charleroi Airport to Brussels
There are several ways of reaching the city of Brussels from Charleroi airport.
There is a shuttle service running from Charleroi airport to Midi Station (Gare du Midi) in Brussels.
Schedule of airport buses is adapted to flight arrivals and departures.
- Shuttles run every 30 minutes, starting at 03:30 a.m.
- Bus station at the airport is located in front of Terminal 1
- Additional shuttle lines run to other cities like Lille, Bruges, Ghent, Vaduz and Metz
- Shuttle service is operated by Flibco
To reach Brussels from Charleroi Airport, you would first need to get to Charleroi-South station in Charleroi and then take a train to Brussels.
- Use TEC bus line A to get from airport to Charleroi-South station.
- Train timetable to Brussels can be seen here.
- It is possible to purchase a combined train + bus ticket online.
- The total journey takes approximately 1h 30min.
If you prefer a comfortable ride over a crowded public transport, we recommend taking a taxi.
Brussels South Charleroi airport has taxis at your disposal throughout the whole year. The taxis are located at the rank outside the terminal building.
- Taxi to Brussels can be quite expensive, so keep that in mind when travelling from Charleroi Airport.
If you are not a fan of public transport and hesitate to take a taxi, we recommend you to book a private transfer online. Driver will wait for you at the Charleroi airport and take you to your destination.
You can even pre-order a child safety seat in case you are travelling with children.
Renting a car at Charleroi airport
For those who would prefer to reach Brussels and explore the area on their own, the best option is to rent a car directly at Charleroi airport. Offices of several car rental companies such as Avis, Budget, Europcar, Sixt and Hertz are located in the Arrivals Hall.
Compare rental prices in advance and book your car online.
Renting a bus at Charleroi airport
Larger groups of passengers should consider renting a bus at the airport.
However, it is recommended to book it online, so the bus rental companies have enough time to advise you on the meeting point and all other information.
Hotels near Charleroi airport
Charleroi airport bus FAQs
- I arrive late at Charleroi airport. Will it be a problem for me to get to Brussels?
Charleroi airport is not really close to Brussels, but airport shuttles are adjusted to the flight schedule.
However, if you arrive before they start running at 03:30 a.m., you have taxis at your disposal.
- Can I exchange money at Charleroi airport?
There are 2 ATMs at the airport, one in the public area of the terminal T1 and another one just outside the terminal T2.
- I am continuing my journey outside Brussels. Are there any direct lines to other destinations?
The airport has no direct connections with other places in Belgium. The best option is reaching the Brussels Central station and checking your options.