Located in Schwechat 18 km (11 mi) southeast of central Vienna and 57 km west of Bratislava, Vienna International Airport is Austria’s biggest airport which counted almost 23 000 000 passengers in 2015.
City Airport Train (CAT): The non-stop journey takes only 16 minutes is the fastest way to get from the airport to Vienna city centre.
- It operates 365 days a year 05:36 a.m. to 23:39 p.m.
- The CAT terminal is located 10 minutes of walking distance from St. Stephan’s Cathedral at Wien Mitte station (reachable by tram, bus, taxi or metro).
- Check in for the flight is also possible at the CAT terminal in the city center (boarding passes, too). The service is available from 24 hours until 75 minutes before departure.
- Single ticket costs approximately 12,00 €, and a return ticket approximately 19,00 €.
Intercity Express (ICE): Offers 2 connections per hour.
- Vienna Airport – Wien Meidling: daily from 06:33 a.m.; every 30 minutes until 11:03 p.m.
- Wien Meidling – Vienna Airport: daily from 05:24 a.m.; from 09:01 a.m. every 25 minutes until 10.01 pm
- The journey takes 26 minutes.
- Ticket price is approximately 3,90 € (children under 6 travel free of charge, while children 6 – 15 years pay 2,80 €).
- You can purchase the ticket in advance online, on train, via their official OBB app and at the vending machines.
Express Train S7: The train links the Vienna airport to Floridsdorf. Due to the numerous stops, the journey takes 37 minutes.
- Vienna Airport – Vienna Floridsdorf: daily from 05:18 a.m. to 00:18 p.m.
- Vienna Floridsdorf – Vienna Airport: daily from 04:36 a.m. to 11:36 p.m.
- Check the timetable here.
- Since the airport is outside the city, you will need two single tickets: 1,70 € to the city zone and 2,20 € for the city zone. (The first one can be purchased only at the vending machines!)
- Children younger than 6 travel for free.
NOTE: Single tickets that are purchased from bus drivers or on trams are subject to a surcharge and cost 2,30 €.
Bus connections: The buses of Vienna Airport Lines take you direct to Vienna city center, to the Donauzentrum via Vienna International Centre (VIC), or to Vienna’s Westbahnhof. The Blaguss Air-Liner offers non-stop connection to Erdberg. The Eurolines start at Bratislava Airport and run via Vienna Airport to Erdberg.
Vienna Airport Lines:
- Vienna Airport – Morzinplatz/Schwedenplatz in 22 minutes.
- Morzinplatz/Schwedenplatz – Vienna Airport in 20 minutes.
- Vienna Airport – Vienna Westbahnhof (Europaplatz) in 45 minutes.
- Vienna Westbahnhof (Europaplatz) – Vienna Airport in 45 minutes.
- Tickets: 8,00 € (adults), children under 6 no charge, 6 – 14 years 4,00 €.
- Tickets can be purchased from the driver.
- Vienna Airport, bus terminal 3, bus stop 9 – VIB Erdberg (U3 station)
- VIB Erdberg (U3 station) – Vienna Airport, bus terminal 3, bus stop 9
- The journey takes 15 minutes.
- A single ticket is 5,00 €, return 9,00 €. (children under 6 years no fee, up to 12 years half price).
- You can purchase the tickets online, from the driver or from the sales outlet in Erdberg.
Transfer: If you wish to have a more comfortable journey or you don’t travel light, you can always choose a private door-to-door transfer. A company will send a professional driver to await you in the arrivals area.
- If you wish to pre-order a transfer, you can do that through a transfer company (even online)
- Don’t worry if your plane is late, the transfer company will monitor your flight arrival.
- If you travel with small kids, you can order child seat.
Taxi services: Airport taxis wait directly at the airport in front of the arrivals or the City Transfer counter in the arrivals hall. Here you can find some useful information on their services and contacts. The prices vary, but the lowest price is 25,00 €.
NOTE: If a taxi approaches you in the arrivals hall, it is recommended not to use it, since they are an illegal business without a required business license.
Renting a car at Vienna airport: Many big car rental companies, like Sixt, Avis, Europcar, etc. have their offices at Vienna airport, along with some local rent-a-car companies, so you can compare the terms and conditions as well as the price looking for the best option. If you don’t want to wait until after your flight to rent a car, you can do it online.
Renting a bus at Vienna airport: For larger groups of people it is recommended to rent a bus for a more independent and comfortable trip.
Intercity buses: From the Vienna airport there is a domestic towards Graz and a few other cities, as well buses from e.g Vienna airport to Bratislava, Vienna airport to Prague, Vienna airport to Budapest as well as other international destinations, all buses departure from the airport bus station.
FAQ – bus and transport from Vienna airport
Q: I arrive late at the airport. Will it be a problem for me to get to the city?
A: No, the airport is well connected to the city centre. You have many lines available throughout the day, but if you still don’t catch any of it, you can always take a taxi service.
Q: I have an early morning departure from the airport, are there any airport hotels I can stay at?
A: Yes, NH Wien Airport is at the distance of 0.6 km. If you don’t like that hotel, a bit further (2.7 km) are two other:EuroHotel Airport Vienna and Azimut EuroHotel Airport Vienna.
Q: I would like to spend one day in Vienna in between flights. Is that possible?
A: Yes, of course. The best way to do so is to choose one of the means of public transportation to avoid high taxi prices. If you don’t want to carry your luggage with you, you can easily leave it at the airport since there are two baggage service centres at the airport, located in the check-in areas of terminal 1 and terminal 3, opened from 05:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
Q: If i need to go to destination which has no direct bus connection from the airport, what the best way of travelling?
A: If you need to travel to e.g Salzburg, Linz, Klagenfurt in Austria or international destinations like e.g Munich, Zagreb or Ljubljana you have two options, one is to continue by train from the main train station in Vienna, other options is to continue your trip from one of the 3 major bus stations in Vienna, be aware that not all bus stations have the same connections.
Q: Can I exchange the money at the airport to pay for my transfer?
A: Yes, there are several exchange offices and ATMs at the airport, working 24/7, but it would be better to exchange the money before the trip and have some euros on you since the rate will be a lot higher on the spot and no currency other than euro is accepted.