The airport of Trieste, officially called Aeroporto Friuli Venezia Giulia, is also called Ronchi dei Legionari after the eponimous town in the vicinity.
It is situated by the highway between Venice and Trieste, about 40 km north-west from Trieste.
The location of the airport is also suitable for those who travel to Istrian towns like Pula, Umag, Porec and Rovinj.
How to get from Trieste Airport to Trieste
There are several ways of reaching the city of Trieste and its nearby destinations.
Trieste airport does not have its shuttle transport, but the transport to/from the airport is organized by the public buses of Gorizia, the Italian region.
Trieste airport is connected by bus No. 51 which goes to the bus terminal in front of the bus and railway station in Trieste.
- Bus departs every 30 minutes on work days and every 1-2 hours on weekends.
- Ride between the airport and the bus station lasts for about an hour
- Last departure from the airport is at 23:30.
- Tickets at the airport can be purchased at a ticket machine or the tourist office.
- Tickets for the ride to the airport can be purchased at bus stations.
- Ticket costs € 4.05.
- Check here the timetable for the summer 2019.
Except for Trieste, the airport is by public buses connected with the following cities:
- Bus No. 51 to Udine
- Bus No. 1 to Gorizia
- Buses No. 1, 26 and 51 to Monfalcone
- Buses No. 1 and 26 to Grado
- Bus No. 26 to Cervignano
Thanks to the Intermodal Transit Hub completed in 2018, the airport railways station has a rail connection to Trieste-Venice railway.
This service now offers 48 trains to/from Trieste, 28 trains to/from Venice and 20 trains to/from Udine.
The ticket to Trieste costs around 4€. Check the schedule on their official website.
Another way to travel to Trieste is with a private, door-to-door transfer from Trieste Airport to your accommodation in the city.
To explore transfers to most popular destinations, visit Trieste Airport taxi & transfer page.
You can also pre-book a transfer to almost any city in Italy from Airport Trieste that you would like to visit for a hassle-free experience.
You will find a list of the most popular transfer routes from Trieste Airport below where you can pre-book your private transfer and pay on arrival.
- NOTE: The prices displayed in the table above are per person (Minibus for up to 8 Passengers) and NOT per vehicle.
Renting a car at Trieste Airport
There are a variety of car rental companies to choose between.
It is, however, recommended to make your booking in advance if you travel in the summer months.
Here you can check the vehicles and the rental prices and book your vehicle.
It is also possible to take a taxi at the airport; a taxi stand is in front of the terminal.
It is advisable to agree on the price with the taxi driver before the ride.
Trieste Airport bus FAQs
- Is there a bus line from Trieste Airport to Venice Airport?
There is no direct bus line between the two airports.
If you wish to get to Venice Airport from Trieste Airport, it is best to book a transfer in advance.
- Where can I find a schedule for the bus line between Trieste Airport and Venice?
There is no direct bus line between Trieste Airport and Venice, so there is no schedule.
There is only a direct line from Trieste airport to Venice airport.
One of the options is to get to the bus station in Trieste where you will take a bus to Venice. The schedule is available here.
Another option is a private transfer booked in advance which will take you from the airport to any address in Venice.
- How can I reach Croatian cities line Umag, Pula, Porec and Rovinj?
Reach the bus station in Trieste from where you will take a bus to these cities.
Travelling between Trieste and Umag is less than one hour.
The bus schedule from Trieste to Pula is available here.
If you want to see the schedules to some other city, you can use the search form on Getbybus.com.
- Is it possible to reach Lake Bled in Slovenia from Trieste by bus?There is a direct line to Lake Bled from the airport, but if you wish to get to the city first and then to Bled, there is a direct bus line from Trieste to Bled.
- Does the airport bus go from Trieste airport to Trieste ferry port?Bus no. 51 does not go to the ferry port – it can be reached by bus no. 8; the public bus stop is located next to the railway station.
- Do taxi drivers use taximetre?
By law they have to, but some do not respect the law.
- If I travel with a baby, can I be sure that the taxi will have a child seat?
Some taxis have a child seat but to be safe it is better to book a private transfer with a note that you will need a child seat.