Falcone-Borsellino Airport, simply known as Palermo Airport (or under the old name of Punta Raisi Airport) is situated 35 km northwest of Palermo, the capital of Sicily.
It is one of the busiest airports in southern Italy operating many domestic and international flights. In 2015 it marked the traffic of almost 5 million passengers.
How to get from Palermo Airport to Palermo
For travelling to and from the airport in Palermo, you can use the following transport options:
The Prestia e Comande bus operates on daily basis on the route between the Central Station / Politeama (Piazza Castelnuovo) and the airport.
- The journey takes 40 – 55 minutes, depending on where your exit station is (Piazza Castelnuovo or the Central Station).
- The ticket costs 6€ for a one way ticket and 10€ for a return ticket.
- The first bus departs from the airport at 05:00, while the first bus leaves Palermo at 04:00. Buses depart every 30 minutes.
- The schedule from Palermo to the airport
- The schedule from the airport to Palermo.
NOTE: There are also less frequent lines from the airport to Agrigento, Trapani and Sciacca/Ribera (check the schedule upon your arrival).
|Palermo Airport to Palermo||Palermo to Palermo Airport|
The Trinacria Express serves the line between the Palermo airport and the main railway station.
- The travel time is approximately 60 minutes.
- The train departs twice an hour both towards Palermo and Palermo Airport (the last train departs at 10:00 p.m.).
- A single ticket costs 5,80 €.
NOTE: If you’re heading north of the city centre, it is advised to get off at Palermo Notarbartolo (journey time is 45 minutes).
Taxis are not an advisable mean of transport, since there is a high probability you will get overcharged, paying at least 50,00 € for a one way ride (even more after 08:00 p.m.)
However, if you absolutely have no other option, try and negotiate the price with the driver prior to entering the car, never en route or after the drive. You will find many taxis waiting for you in the Arrivals area.
One of the most reliable taxi companies there is Radio Taxi Trinacria and you can even book them online.
Another way to travel to Palermo is with a private, door-to-door transfer from Palermo Airport to your accommodation in the city.
To explore transfers to most popular destinations, visit Palermo Airport taxi & transfer page.
You can also pre-book a transfer to almost any city in Italy from Airport Palermo that you would like to visit for a hassle-free experience.
You will find a list of the most popular transfer routes from Palermo Airport below where you can pre-book your private transfer and pay on arrival.
- NOTE: The prices displayed in the table above are per person (Minibus for up to 8 Passengers) and NOT per vehicle.
Renting a car at Palermo Airport
For those who prefer exploring the area on their own, there are several car rental companies like Sixt or Europcar offering their services directly at the airport.
To avoid being left without a car, book them online.
Renting a bus at Palermo Airport
In case you are coming with a larger group of people, the best option is to rent a bus prior to your arrival.
After doing so, the bus rental companies will inform you on the pick-up point.
Travelling from Palermo Airport to Trapani
The Segesta Autolinee company operates the connection Palermo Airport – Trapani, from where you can also visit gorgeous island of Pantelleria, Favignana and Levanzo, or Erice, a small but significant village.
- During July and August the line runs four times a day (in the rest of the year there are two rides per day).
- The stop at the airport is outside the exit and on the right.
- The stops in Trapani are: Via Fardella, Via Marsala, Via Mazzini and Via Ammiraglio Staiti.
- Tickets can be booked online.
Palermo Airport Bus FAQs
- I arrive late at the airport. Will it be a problem for me to get to the city?
No, there are bus and train lines throughout the day, but in case you miss all of them, take a taxi but be careful and negotiate the price before the drive, since the Palermo taxists are well-known for overcharging.
- I have an early morning departure from the airport, are there any airport hotels I can stay at?
Yes, you can book a room in Villa Modus Vivendi only 0.9 km away from the airport, in Casa Fondo Orsa on the distance of 1.5 km from the airport. They offer full service, Wi-Fi and 24-hour-open desk.
- I would like to spend one day in Palermo in between flights. Is that possible?
Yes, of course. The best way to do so is to take one of the buses which take you directly from the airport to the city centre and are the most convenient way of transportation.
Unfortunately there is no luggage storage at the airport, but you can leave your stuff at the Central Station.
- I am continuing my journey outside Palermo. Are there any direct lines from the airport to other cities?Ž
There are less frequent lines from the airport to Agrigento, Trapani and Sciacca/Ribera directly from the airport, but all other destinations include going first to Palermo Central Station and there taking the bus or train which will get you to your destination.
You can visit Cefalu, Taormina, Catania and many other beautiful Sicilian places.
- Can I exchange the money at the airport to pay for my transfer?Yes, there are several exchange offices and ATMs at the airport, working 24/7, but it would be better to exchange the money before the trip and have some euros on you since the rate will be a lot higher on the spot and no currency other than euro is accepted.