Manchester Airport (MAN) is an international airport serving the city of Manchester and its suburbs, located in Ringway, approx. 14 kilometres south of Manchester city centre. According to the number of passengers, Manchester Airport is the third busiest airport in the UK, right after London Heathrow and London Gatwick. The airport has three terminals:
- Terminal 1 and 2 are connected by skylink, with built-in moving walkways which reduce reaching each terminal to 10-15 minutes.
- Terminal 3 is connected to T1 and the skylink by a walkway
- The skylink links all three terminals to the airport railway station and to the Radisson BLU Hotel
How to get from Manchester Airport to Manchester
Shuttle bus by National Express connects the city centre with Manchester Airport:
- The bus runs frequently from 00:55 until 23:15 when the last bus leaves the airport; the approximate journey time is 25 minutes,
- The price of a single ticket ranges from £5-9 → see timetable and buy your ticket here.
Manchester Airport is linked to the city centre by 24/7 Skyline bus, line 43 which operates to Manchester Piccadilly bus station:
- This line has both day and night departures; during daytime the bus runs every 10 minutes and during night every half an hour – check timetable
- Single ticket costs around £3 and travel time to the city is approx. 44-72 minutes, depending on the traffic.
The train station of Manchester Airport is located between Terminals 1 and 2, linked by a moving walkway.
- Trains to Manchester Piccadilly run every 10 minutes and get there in 20 minutes, the price of a one-way ticket is £5
- Manchester Airport is also connected by direct trains to the following cities: Wilmslow, Sheffield, Grimsby, Leeds York, Scarborough, Middlesbrough, Preston, Carlisle → route map
Metrolink service connects Manchester Airport with the Cornbrook station in south Manchester. Metro tram runs every 12 minutes and it will take 35 minutes to get to the Cornbrook station. NOTE: Once you get to the Cornbrook station, take another tram to the city centre, the journey is only 5 minutes.
Taxi is a convenient means of transport if you usually avoid public transportation. Official airport taxis are at your disposal 24/7. The journey to, for example, Manchester Piccadilly will cost you around £20.
Another way to travel to Manchester is with a private, door-to-door transfer from Manchester Airport to your accommodation in the city. You can pre-book a transfer for a hassle-free experience, professional driver will wait for you at the airport and take you to your destination.
Renting a car at Manchester Airport
The so-called Car Rental Village is a part of the airport area where people can rent cars and it is linked to the terminals by a free shuttle bus. You will find companies such as Alamo, Budget, Hertz and many others. Or save yourself time and book a car online.
Renting a bus at Manchester Airport
Renting your own bus is a good idea to think about in case you are travelling in a larger group of people. It is essential you do the booking on time so that rental company can organise all the details, such as pick-up point.
Direct routes from Manchester Airport
From MAN to Edinburgh
Direct bus provided by National Express runs up to 3 times a day to Edinburgh from Manchester Airport. The travel time on the route is approx. 6 hours and 30-40 minutes. Check here the price, timetable and all the other necessary information.
From MAN to Chester
You can reach the city of Chester either by train or by direct bus from the airport:
- Arriva Trains Wales services provide transportation to Chester from Manchester Airport, running every 25 minutes from 05:33 to 22:29. The average travel time is 1 hour and 25 mins. The price of a single ticket is £19.60.
- By a direct bus in only one hour for almost double the price of the train to Chester. Single ticket costs around £10 → timetable
From MAN to Liverpool
Reach the city of Liverpool in no time by a direct bus from Manchester Airport. The distance between the cities is 58 km which approximately equals a travel time of 1 hour. The price of a single ticket ranges from £5-10 → timetable
Accommodation near Manchester Airport
You can choose between several hotels situated in the airport area:
Already mentioned Radisson BLU Hotel (4*) connected by skylink with passenger terminals, has free Wi-Fi, indoor pool and laundry service
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport (3*) – free Wi-Fi, access for disabled
Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport (4*) – free Wi-Fi, access for disabled
Holiday Inn Express Hotel (3*) – 3 km from the airport, has free Wi-Fi connection and breakfast included
For other options, check below:
Manchester Airport FAQs
- I arrive late at the airport. Will it be a problem for me to get to the city?
It won’t be a problem at all to reach the city as shuttle bus nr.43 runs day and night, and both tram and train are as well very frequent. In case you don’t want to use public transport late at night, call yourself a taxi which you will pay around £20.
- I would like to spend one day in Manchester in between flights. Is that possible?
Sure thing, the airport is located only 13 kilometres from the city centre, and the public transportation is operating all day long so you don’t have to worry about missing your next flight. And you can leave your luggage at the airport:
0-3 Hours – £8.50 per item
3-24 hours -£12.50 per item
Each Additional Day -£10.00 per item/day
Weekly Fee – £50.00 per item/week
- Is there free WiFi at manchester Airport?
Yes, the airport offers a free WiFi service for up to 4 hours in a 24-hour period.
- I am continuing my journey outside Manchester. Are there any direct lines from the airport to other cities?
Check below some of direct bus lines from Manchester Airport to other British cities or choose your own destination at getbybus.com:
- Can I exchange money at the airport to pay for my transfer?
Certainly, there are several ATMs available throughout the airport building and several exchange offices located both at Arrivals and Departures terminals. Have in mind that the official currency is British pound (£), so it is better to have some on you prior to your flight, to avoid low currency rates.