Krakow Airport (KRK), commonly known under the name of Saint John Paul II International Airport Kraków–Balice is an international airport of Krakow situated in the nearby village of Balice, only 11 kilometres from the city centre. The airport has handled 6.7 million people in 2018 and the number is still growing. The most popular flights among the passengers are to Warsaw Chopin, London Stansted, Frankfurt and Munich.
How to get from Krakow Airport to Krakow
Public bus transportation provides two lines which operate during the day and one night line connecting the main railway station (Kraków Główny) and bus station (Kraków Główny RDA):
- Line 208 – from Krakow Airport to the railway station East (Dworzec Główny Wschód); buses run every hour except at 10 and 12 → timetable
- Line 252 – from Krakow Airport to ICE Congress Centre; buses run every 30 minutes → full timetable
- Line 902 – from Krakow Airport to the railway station West and East; runs every hour → schedule
- Single ticket for all bus lines above costs around 5 PLN (~1 EUR), but you also have the possibility of buying 60/90 min ticket and 24-hour ticket for multiple rides.
- Tickets can be bought from the ticket machines at Arrivals hall, at the bus stop and from the machines on some buses
Krakow Airport is also very well connected with the city by new airport railway station, situated by the passenger terminal, behind the car park. Train is a bit faster option than the bus, because you’ll get to the city centre in only 17 minutes:
- Trains depart from the airport every half an hour from 05:18 – 00:18
- One-way ticket will cost you 9 PLN (~2 EUR) and it can be bought online, on ticket machines at passenger terminal, at train station and on the train (from ticket machine or train conductor)
- In case you have a pet dog, you will have to pay additional 3 PLN
NOTE: Due to modernization plans, railway timetable is currently limited on the route to and from Krakow airport. Before you arrive at the airport make sure you check the schedule HERE.
If you don’t prefer public transportation, then go for airport taxis. They are at your service 24/7 waiting directly outside the Arrivals hall. The prices are fixed and there is no worry you’ll get overcharged. For a trip of 10-15 km, which it takes to get to the city centre, you can expect to pay 90 PLN (or approx. 22€)
Another way to reach the city center is by booking a private, door-to-door transfer from Krakow Airport to your accommodation. The price will always be fixed and your driver will wait for you outside the terminal building upon your flight arrival.
Renting a car at Krakow Airport
Renting a car is a great idea if you are more of an adventurer and prefer to explore on your own. Good thing is that there are 9 different car rental offices located at Krakow Airport (like Avis, Budget, etc.), but you can also simply book a car online.
Renting a bus at Krakow Airport
A private bus is a convenient option for bigger groups of people arriving to the airport. Just make sure you do the booking on time so the company can organize all the details.
Accommodation near Krakow Airport
The closest accommodation is Hilton Garden Inn Krakow Airport Hotel (4*) which is located right in front of Terminal 1. For other options, check below:
Krakow Airport FAQs
- Q: I arrive late at the airport. Will it be a problem for me to get to the city?
A: No it won’t be a problem since the airport is very well connected with the city. Throughout the day you have regular bus lines 208 and 252 and trains every half an hour, and during the night there is line 902. And taxis and transfers are, of course, always at your service.
- Q: I would like to spend one day in Krakow in between flights. Is that possible?
A: The city centre is only 11 km from the airport and there are many options of getting there, and by train it will take you only 17 minutes! There is no luggage storage at the airport, but you’ll find one at the main railway station for 6 PLN per day (one item).
- Q: I am continuing my journey outside Krakow. Are there any direct lines from the airport to other cities?
A: First you need to reach Kraków Główny railway station and right in front of it you’ll find a bus stop from which the buses depart to other Polish cities. Here are some of the most popular routes: Krakow – Katowice, Krakow – Poznan, Krakow – Wroclaw, or find one for yourself on getbybus.com
- Is there a free WiFi connetion at Krakow Airport?
The airport provides free WiFi Internet access for 15 minutes.
- Q: Can I exchange money at the airport to pay for my transfer?
A: Absolutely, there are three exchange offices, all of them at level 0, and several ATMs throughout the airport. Bear in mind that the official currency in Poland are Polish zloty (PLN) and no other currency is accepted, so it would be good to exchange some money before the flight.