Glasgow Airport, formerly known as Abbotsinch Airport, is an international airport in Scotland which serves the area of Glasgow. It is located 11km of Glasgow city centre. After Edinburgh Airport, it’s country’s second and UK’s eighth busiest airport in terms of passenger traffic. In 2018 the airport handled over 9 million passengers.
How to get from Glasgow Airport to Glasgow
Glasgow Airport Express (First Bus 500) is an official bus service which connects the airport and the city centre in only 15 minutes. It departs from the Stance 1 at the airport.
- The bus runs every 10 minutes, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (except on Christmas day).
- The stops from the Glasgow Airport are: Bothwell Street, Hope Street, George Square, North Hanover Station, Buchanan Bus Station
- The stops from Buchanan Bus Station are: North Hanover Street, George Square, St Vincent Place, St Vincent Street, Waterloo Street, Glasgow Airport
- One way ticket costs £8.50 (open return £14).
- Tickets can be bought on board or online.
Most buses connect the airport with the main Buchanan Street Bus Station in the city centre where bus services from all over the country arrive. The stop is right outside the main terminal building.
- First 77 Hospital Connect – Glasgow City Centre (via Renfrew, Braehead shopping centre, South Glasgow University Hospital and Partick) from Stance 6
- McGill’s 757 – Paisley Gilmour Street Train Station from Stance 7
- Citylink 914, 915, 917 – Skye (via Loch Lomond and Fort William) from Stance 9
- Stagecoach X24 – Cumbernauld and Fife
- Citylink 977 – Oban
If you choose the train, the nearest station to Glasgow Airport is Paisley Gilmour Street, just 1.5 km from the terminal and connected by the McGill’s 757 bus service. Tickets to Glasgow Airport can be purchased at any train station in Scotland or via the ScotRail website.
If you want to avoid the hassle of public transport, consider taxing a taxi. There is a taxi rank just outside the Arrivals hall. One way ride costs approximately 18-25€, depending on the taxi company.
Another way to travel from Glasgow Airport is with a private, door-to-door transfer directly to your accommodation in the city. You can pre-book a transfer for a hassle-free experience, professional driver will wait for you at the airport and take you to your destination.
Renting a car at Glasgow airport
For those of you who would like to reach the city and explore the area on their own, the best option is to rent a car directly at the airport. There are several car rental companies there: Avis, Europcar, Enterprise, National, Alamo, Hertz, Budget and Dollar. All the information desks are located in the Arrivals hall at the airport. Compare their prices and offers and save time by booking online.
Renting a bus at Glasgow airport
If you’re coming in a larger group of people, consider renting a bus for your journey. Keep in mind to book it in advance, so that the transfer company has enough time to inform you on the meeting point and all other relevant information.
From GLA to Fife: The Stagecoach Express JET Connect travels direct to Fife from stance 9 (stops at Cumbernauld, Kincardine, Dunfermline, Halbeath P&R, Glenrothes, Cupar and St Andrews). A return ticket costs around £20.
Accommodation near Glasgow Airport
Below you can check the accommodation options in the close vicinity of the airport:
Glasgow Airport FAQs
- I arrive late at the airport. Will it be a problem for me to get to the city?
No, the city is only a 15min drive away from the airport and the transport system functions very well. You can take the shuttle or some local bus or train since they run 24/7. Taxi and transfer are at your disposal as well.
- I would like to visit Glasgow in between flights. Is that possible?
Of course, the airport is only 11km away from the city centre and has an efficient public transport system, working 24/7. You can reach the central Glasgow in 15 minutes and you don’t have to worry about making it to your next flight, since there is always some shuttle, bus or train to catch. Also, you can leave your luggage at the airport. Luggage point is located in the main terminal building hall right by the British Airways check in desks, the price list is following:
0-3 hours: £8.50 per item
1 day: £12.50 per item
Each additional day: £10.00 per item
Week: £50.00 per item
- Can I exchange money at the airport to pay for my transfer?
Yes, you can exchange your money, but you can also pick up money at the ATM machines, which are located at domestic arrivals, beside Travelex.
- Is there free WiFi at Glasgow Airport?
All passengers at the airport can get 1 hour of free high-speed wireless internet access, additional hours have to be paid.
- I am continuing my journey outside Glasgow. Are there any direct lines to other destinations?
From the airport you can go directly to the historic site of Fife, with Stagecoach Express JET Connect, but for more connections you have to reach the Glasgow Central Station and check on your options there.