Copenhagen Airport, also known as Kastrup Airport, is the main international airport serving the area of the Danish capital city. It’s the largest and busiest airport in the Nordic countries and one of the oldest in entire Europe. It serves as a hub for Scandinavian Airlines and a base for Thomas Cook Airlines Scandinavia and Norwegian Air Shuttle. In 2018 it handled over 30 million passengers.
How to get from Copenhagen Airport to Copenhagen
As the biggest airport in Scandinavia, the Copenhagen Airport has a well-developed system of public transport to and from the airport. You can choose between metro, bus and train.
The metro station is located in an extension of the Terminal 3. Do not worry about getting on the wrong train, since all of them go in the same direction, M2 to Vanløse Station.
- During the day, the train runs every 4 – 6 minutes, while during the nighttime the trains operate every 15 – 20 minutes.
- The journey takes around 15 minutes.
NOTE: Tickets can be purchased at the metro station and at the DSB ticket sales counter in Terminal 3. Keep in mind that the machines only accept coins and all major credit cards, not notes. This is valid for trains as well.
The train station is also located in Terminal 3. In case you’re in Terminal 1, take a free shuttle bus which will take you there in 5 minutes. Tickets can be purchased at the DSB ticket sales counter in Terminal 3.
- The train runs every 10 minutes (three times per hour after midnight).
- The journey is around 15 minutes long.
There are several lines which provide connection between the airport and the city.
- Line 5A will take you directly to Copenhagen Central Station, City Hall Square, Nørreport and other stations, it takes around 35 minutes from the airport to the Central Station and the bus runs every 10 minutes (more rarely during nighttime).
- Line 35 drives on the route The airport – The airport East – A.P. Møllers Alle – Dragør stationsplads – Store Magleby – Tømmerup – Amagerhallen – Sundbyvester Plads – Irlandsvej – Dr Byen St.
- Line 36 follows the stops The airport – Korsvejens Skole – Tårnby st. – Nøragersmindevej.
Taxis are located outside Terminals 2 and 3. They will take you to the centre of Copenhagen in less than 20 minutes, depending on the traffic. It will cost 250 – 300 DKK (30 – 40€).
Another way of traveling to Copenhagen is with a private, door-to-door transfer from Copenhagen International Airport to your accommodation in the city. Transfer can be booked in advance and a professional driver will wait for you at the airport and take you to your destination.
Renting a car at Copenhagen airport
For those of you who would like to reach the city and explore the area on your own, the best option is to rent a car directly at the airport. There are several car rental companies there, so you can find information desks of Avis, Budget, Enterprice, Europcar, Hertz and Sixt. Compare their rental prices and save time by booking your car online.
Renting a bus at Copenhagen airport
Larger groups of passengers should consider renting a bus at the airport. However, it is recommended to book it online, so the bus rental companies have enough time to advise you on the meeting point and all other information.
From CPH to Malmö: You ought to take a train from Copenhagen Central Station to Malmö. It takes approximately 25 minutes to Malmö, and the train stops at Copenhagen Airport too. You need to buy a ticket before boarding the train.
Accommodation near Copenhagen Airport
Copenhagen Airport – FAQ
- I arrive late at the airport. Will it be a problem for me to get to the city?
No, there are several means of transport which take you to the city centre. You can use metro, bus or train, each driving even during nighttime. In case you prefer something more cozy, taxis are available too, for the price of around 40€.
- I have an early morning departure from the airport, are there any airport hotels I can stay at?
Yes, there are several hotels located within short distance from the airport. You can choose your accommodation based on preference, budget, reviews or star ratings. Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers is located 3km from the airport and offers a free shuttle service. Park Inn By Radisson Copenhagen Airport is also 3km away from the airport. It is a perfect choice for anyone, including families, couples and lone travelers. The Hilton Copenhagen Airport Hotel is situated in the airport and can be accessed through the hall from Terminal 3. They provide a variety of fitness, business and dining facilities.
- I would like to visit Copenhagen in between flights. Is that possible?
Yes, it takes less than half an hour to reach the city of Copenhagen. The public transport is at your service 24/7, even during the nighttime. You can leave your luggage at the airport to avoid dragging it around the city. There are luggage lockers available next to Parkeringshus 4 (P4) in Copenhagen Airport and luggage storage at the end of Terminal 2.
- Can I exchange money at the airport to pay for my transfer?
Yes, there are banks in Terminal 2; all terminals have ATM machines as well. For those of you who are looking for currency exchange, you can use “Bureaux de Change” in Terminals 2 and 3.
- I am continuing my journey outside Copenhagen. Are there any direct lines to other destinations?
You can take the train to Malmö which stops at the airport, as already mentioned above. If you prefer some other destination, we recommend you to go to the Central Station and check out the connections there, or simply look them up on GetByBus.