Catania-Fontanarossa Airport, also known as Vincenzo Bellini Airport, is an international airport in Sicily located about 4.3 km southwest of Catania. It is the busiest airport in Sicily and it handles more than 9 million passengers every year.
How to get from Catania Airport to Catania
There is an organized shuttle service with AMT Alibus from Catania International Airport to the city center and the Train Station. The bus goes every 25 minutes, from 4.40 AM to midnight. The ticket costs €4 and is valid for 90 minutes, but you have to validate it in the electronic ticket machine on the bus. You can purchase your ticket at the airport or on board.
- Journey time: 20 minutes to the train station (Stazione Centrale)
- Bus departure and arrival point is at a bus station just outside the terminal building, some 50 meters from the entrance to the airport.
- On the way back to the airport, the bus has the same route (departing from the Train station and the main square).
- See here the timetable.
To reach your accommodation in Catania or the surrounding area, or to go to some other city, the most hassle-free way is to book a door-to-door transfer. You can do that online.
- Transfer companies will send a professional driver who will wait for you in the arrivals area with a name sign, and monitor your flight arrival to know if your plane is late.
- If you are travelling with small children, child safety seats can be pre-ordered
Taxis are available from Catania airport and you will find them in front of the terminal building, Arrivals area. However, to avoid being scammed, use only the authorized taxi service called Radio Taxi Catania. You can even call them or book the taxi online, using the mobile app. The price starts from 18 euros, depending on the location.
Renting a car at Catania Airport
there are several car rental companies located at and around the airport, mostly local companies and three larger companies – Sixt, Budget and Hertz. There is also Avis rental company, located a bit away from the terminal building (1.4 km), next to the Catania International Airport Hotel. The easiest way to rent a car is to compare the prices on the following link, save time and book online.
Renting a bus at Catania Airport
if you are a group arriving to the airport, you might consider renting a bus prior to your arrival. It is a good option if you want to explore other parts of Sicily as well. Note that the bus has to be booked in advance, and the bus rental companies will advise you on the meeting point/pick-up point.
Accommodation near Catania-Fontanarossa Airport
Catania-Fontanarossa Airport FAQs
- I arrive late at the airport. Will it be a problem for me to get to the city?
No, the last shuttle bus is at midnight, and if you somehow miss it, you still have the taxi or you can pre-order a transfer. They are available 24/7.
- I have an early morning departure from the airport, are there any airport hotels I can stay at?
Yes, there is the Catania International Airport Hotel located near the airport, at 1.5 km distance, which means you can reach the terminal building on foot (15 minutes walk). However, you can ask at the reception to arrange a transfer to the airport if you have a lot of luggage.
- I would like to visit Catania in between flights. Is that possible?
Yes, if you take the airport shuttle bus, you will be in downtown Catania (Duomo – main square) in about 20 minutes. Keep in mind the time you need to come back to the airport and enjoy your city visit!
- I am continuing my journey outside Catania. Are there any direct lines to other destinations?
Yes, there are several bus lines directly from the airport, offering connections with all parts of Sicily, including smaller towns and villages and bigger cities, e.g. Noto, Ispica, Canicattì, Caltanissetta, Agrigento, Taormina, Ragusa, Messina, Palermo etc. However, these buses go only few times a day, so you might have to wait a bit longer, depending on your flight arrival.