Cagliari Elmas Airport (CAG) is located 7km northwest of Cagliari on the Island of Sardinia. The specific area where the airport is located is Elmas and thus the name Cagliari Elmas Airport. Amongst the local Italians the airport is also referred to as Aeroporto Mario Mameli.
How to get from Cagliari Airport to Cagliari
The bus services offered at the airport are comfortable and convenient, and it is only a ten minute journey between the airport and Piazza Matteotti.
- Buses travel from Cagliari every half an hour. The ARST Bus Station is nearby the train station in Downtown Cagliari, in Piazza Matteotti.
- Cagliari buses stop outside the terminal building. One is located outside the arrivals area, and is indicated by a blue and white ARST sign, and another is situated outside the departures area, and is indicated by the word ‘Bus’ printed in yellow on the roadside.
- A single, one-way bus ticket to Cagliari will cost 0.67€, and bus tickets must be purchased before boarding the bus, as they are not sold on the bus itself.
- Passengers can buy tickets at the airport, or at newsstands (one floor below the Departures level). The first bus leaves the airport at 08:40, and the last bus departs at 23:30.
- Check here the timetable of departures to and from the airport.
From the airport to the Cagliari port: The port is located in the centre of Cagliari, so the best way to get there is by taking a bus to the centre (line 160) or by taxi.
The airport is easily accessible by train from Cagliari and all major Sardinian cities thanks to the ‘Elmas Aeroporto’ railway station.
- The rail service starts at about 5 am and ends after 9 pm with 20 minutes average frequency.
- The journey to and from downtown takes around 5-7 minutes, single fare is €1.30.
- Tickets are sold by Trenitalia at the vending machines (located both in the Arrivals area of the air terminal and inside the train station), online and by official ticket counters and authorized dealers.
- The airport train station is just a 5-minute walk from the terminal
If you decide to take taxi, a standard journey during daytime will cost you approximately between €15 and €20.
If you choose to have your own private taxi, or maybe a minivan if you are travelling in a bigger group of people, you can get it for €30-40. Private transfer is always advised to be booked in advance.
Renting a car at Cagliari airport
Those who prefer exploring the city by themselves but want to avoid public transport, car rental companies like Firefly and Rhodium offer their services at the airport. To avoid being left without the car, book them online.
Renting a bus at Cagliari airport
In case you are coming with a larger group of people, the best option is to rent a bus prior to your arrival. After doing so, the bus rental companies will inform you on the pick-up point.
From CAG to Alghero: It takes around 2 and half hours by car to get from Cagliari to Alghero, so the best option would be to rent a car if you’re doing a one-day trip. Other options are taking a bus or a train to Alghero, but for that you will have to go to the station (10 mins away from the airport).
Accommodation near Cagliari Airport
Cagliari Airport FAQs
- I arrive late at the airport. Will it be a problem for me to get to the city?
Of course not, there are bus and train lines throughout the day, but in case you miss them all, take a taxi but be careful and ask the price of the drive in advance, because you might get overcharged, especially late at night.
- I have an early morning departure from the airport, are there any airport hotels I can stay at?
The closest hotels to the Cagliari airport are:
Holiday Inn Cagliari Hotel (4*) – 4.5 km away from the airport, offers free Wi-Fi, room service
Sardegna Hotel (4*) – 6km away from the airport, free Wi-Fi, free parking, free breakfast; laundry service
- I would like to spend one day in Cagliari in between flights. Is that possible?
Yes, of course. The best way to do so is to take one of the buses which take you directly from the airport to the city centre and are the most convenient way of transportation. The airport does not offer luggage lockers but has a left luggage office where you can leave your luggage.
- I am continuing my journey outside Cagliari. Are there any direct lines from the airport to other cities?
To visit other Sardinian cities you will have to go the the Cagliari Central Station and from there take the bus or train which will get you to your destination. You can visit places like Sassari, Olbia or Carbonia.
- Can I exchange the money at the airport to pay for my transfer?
Yes, there are several exchange offices and ATMs at the airport, working 24/7, but it would be better to exchange the money before the trip and have some euros on you since the rate will be a lot higher on the spot and no currency other than euro is accepted.