Bucharest Airport (OTP), commonly known as Bucharest Henri Coandă International Airport is the busiest international airport in Romania. It is located in Otopeni, a little more than 16 kilometres from Bucharest. In the last ten years, the number of passengers that the airport welcomes annually has almost tripled. The most popular flight routes from Bucharest Airport are to London, Rome, Paris and Vienna.
How to get from Bucharest Airport to Bucharest
Bucharest is connected with Henri Coandă International Airport with a regular direct shuttle bus. Bus departs from the bus stop in front of airport terminal and runs to Terminal Memento Bus (closes to Bucuresti Nord train station).
In the table below you can find the timetable of shuttle bus departures and buy your ticket online.
You can also reach Bucharest city centre by two bus lines operated by local bus service RATB:
- Express line 780 which connects Bucharest Airport with the Gara de Nord (main railway station) – runs from 05:35 to 23:10 (Mon to Fri) → timetable
- Express line 783 connects the airport with the Union Square (Piața Unirii) in Bucharest – runs from 0:30 to 23:45 (Mon to Fri) → timetable
- The price of a single bus fare is 3.5 lei (0.80 eur)
Bucharest Airport is also connected by direct railway link with the main railway station by CFR service which provide Henri Coandă Express trains :
- The train station is 10 mins from the airport but there is a shuttle bus which will take you to the departure point
- The pick-up point is located at the Arrivals Terminal
- The first train departs at 5:25 and the last one at 20:50, and it takes 60 minutes to get to the station
- The price of a one-way ticket is 7.7 lei (1.7 eur). Children of age 5-10 pay half of the price, and children under 5 travel for free.
Bucharest taxi drivers are known for always trying to rip off the tourists, so be careful. Romanian law has even prohibited taxi access in public parking, so make sure you get yourself one of official airport taxis which wait outside the Arrivals Terminal. The price is usually 1,39lei/km to 3.5lei/km. Also watch out for the taximeter and negotiate the price before you enter the vehicle.
In case you need a direct ride to your accommodation and you don’t have that much time to waste on public transportation, then go for door-to-door transfer, especially if you have a lot of suitcases. The driver will wait for you in the Arrivals area with your name sign. Don’t worry if your plane is late, the company monitors your flight arrival.
Renting a car at Bucharest Airport
Services like Avis, Budget and Europcar offer car rental directly at the airport. Their offices are located in the passageway between the Departures Terminal and the Arrivals Terminal. Or you can simply book your car online.
Renting a bus at Bucharest Airport
Consider booking a bus in advance in case you are coming with a larger group of people. After doing so, the bus rental companies will inform you on the pick-up point.
From OTP to other cities: Bucharest Airport also has many direct bus lines to other Romanian cities, such as Brasov or Cluj-Napoca. Here are some of the most popular routes you can find on getbybus.com
Accommodation near Bucharest Airport
Bucharest Airport FAQs
- I arrive late at the airport. Will it be a problem for me to get to the city?
A: That won’t be a problem since the local bus lines run throughout the day, particularly line 783 which operates from 0:30 to 23:30, approx. every 30-40 mins.
- I have an early morning departure from the airport, are there any airport hotels I can stay at?
You can try to find accommodation in several nearby hotels:
Angelo by Vienna House Bucharest (4*) – 3.3. km from the airport, offers free Wi-Fi; restaurant, bar, spa
Hotel Otopeni (3*) – 2.7 kilometres from the airport; free Wi-Fi, free transfer to and from the airport
Rin Airport Hotel (3*) – 3.9 km from the airport, free Wi-Fi connection, parking
- I would like to spend one day in Bucharest in between flights. Is that possible?
Sure thing. Take the local bus or train which will take you directly from the airport to the main square/main train station. From there, you can basically go to any part of the city by foot or by any mean of public transport. Even though there are no luggage storage services at the airport, you can leave your luggage at the facility located near the station of bus line 783 in the city centre.
- I am continuing my journey outside Bucharest. Are there any direct bus lines from the airport to other cities?
You should first go the city centre and from there choose one of the popular routes from Bucharest, like Bucharest – Varna (BG), Bucharest – Bratislava (SK) . Or you can check other routes by yourself on getbybus.com.
- Can I exchange money at the airport to pay for my transfer?
Yes, the ATMs are located at Departures Terminal (Unicredit, Raiffaisen, Bancpost, etc.) and you can exchange your money at one of the banks located at passage between Arrivals and Departure Terminal. Don’t forget – the official currency in Romania is lei, and not euro, so make sure you exchange some before your flight.