Birmingham Airport (BHX), previously known as Elmdon Airport, is an international airport serving the city of Birmingham and it is situated in Solihull, 10 kilometres southeast of Birmingham. In terms of number of passengers, Birmingham Airport is currently the 7th busiest airport in the United Kingdom. The busiest domestic routes are Edinburgh, Belfast-City, Glasgow and Belfast-International, while the most popular international routes are Dublin, Dubai, Amsterdam and Paris Charles de Gaulle.
How to get from Birmingham Airport to Birmingham
Airport shuttle bus
The city centre of Birmingham (Birmingham Coach Station) is just 25 minutes from the airport if you take a direct shuttle bus, operated by National Express. → check here timetable, prices and all other necessary information.
Line X1 – connects Birmingham and Coventry, and stops at Birmingham Airport Interchange station:
- The bus departs from Birmingham city centre (Moor Street Q’way) to Coventry Pool Meadow and back, and it makes a stop at BHX
- It takes approx. 45 minutes to reach the city. Buses run frequently throughout the day, from 01:05 until 00:05 → full timetable
- The price of a single ticket is £2.40 and a daily ticket costs £4.60 (for children £1.20/3.10) and it is bought on board, in cash or by contactless card.
Line 75/75A – connects Sutton Coldfield and Birmingham International Station
Line 91 – connects Chelmsley Wood and Birmingham International Station → timetable
Line 97/97A – connects Birmingham City Centre to Birmingham Airport
Line 966 connects Erdington and Solihull via Birmingham Airport → full timetable
NOTE: There are two bus stops at the airport so check in timetables where each line makes a stop (either at the Airport Terminal, or at Birmingham International Interchange accessible by air-rail link).
Birmingham Airport has its own railway station (Birmingham International Station) and it is very well connected not only to the centre of Birmingham, but to more than 100 other cities and towns. The station is easily reached by air-rail link which will get you there in only 2 minutes. Here are some of the possible destinations:
- To Birmingham New Street: Departs 9 times per hour throughout the day and it takes 25 minutes to reach the city centre. The price of the ticket varies from £2.90-3.70.
- To Manchester Piccadilly, Northampton, Coventry, London Euston, Bournemouth, Shrewsbury
Official airport taxis are available 24/7 and all of them accept debit and credit cards, provide you with receipts and they are the only taxis which have the permission to operate from the airport, so there is no fear of getting overcharged. The usual taxi fare to the centre of Birmingham is £25-£30.
Door-to-door transfer is a good idea if you’re travelling in a smaller group and you need fast transportation to your accommodation. It will cost you almost as taxi, but it will probably be few pounds cheaper if there is more of you.
Renting a car at Birmingham Airport
Car rental companies like Avis, Budget and Enterprise are located right after you pass through security, in the Arrivals area. As an alternative option, you can always book a car in advance and save up some money and time.
Renting a bus at Birmingham Airport
Birmingham is situated in the heart of England, so if you are coming with a bigger group of people, it would be good to rent a bus and visit other cities. However, if you plan to do this, make sure you do it on time because the bus rental company needs time to organize all the details.
Accommodation near Birmingham Airport
Birmingham Airport FAQs
- I arrive late at the airport. Will it be a problem for me to get to the city?
A: Absolutely not. Reaching the city centre is easy because the airport is very well connected by both buses and trains. Bus line X1 runs practically all day and night, and trains are also very frequent.
- I have an early morning departure from the airport, are there any airport hotels I can stay at?
Definitely, you can choose between several hotels located in the airport area:
Hotel Novotel Birmingham Airport (4*) – free Wi-Fi, laundry service, restaurant
Hotel ibis Birmingham Airport (3*) – free Wi-Fi, restaurant, bar
Ibis budget Birmingham Airport – NEC (2*) – free Wi-Fi, parking and access for the disabled
Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport (3*) – free Wi-Fi, indoor pool
Tri Star Hotel (3*) – free Wi-Fi, free parking and breakfast included
- I would like to visit Birmingham in between flights. Is that possible?
Sure thing, Birmingham city centre is merely 10 kilometres from the airport so you will get there in no time and be back in time for your next flight because buses and trains run every 10 minutes all day long. You can leave your luggage at Luggage Point at the airport, located in the north terminal check-in area (from 04:00 to 20:00).
- Can I exchange money at the airport to pay for my transfer?
Yes, you can exchange your money at ICE (International Currency Exchange) office located at the airport, or withdraw money from several ATMs throughout the airport. However, we recommend having some pounds on you, because currency rates are much higher at the airports.
- I am continuing my journey outside Birmingham. Are there any direct lines to other destinations?
Yes, many actually. Here are just some of them you could choose, or check the one you like the most on getbybus.com.