Belfast International Airport (BFS) is an airport situated 22 km northwest of Belfast in Northern Ireland. It was formerly known under the name of Aldergrove Airport. It is the busiest airport in Northern Ireland and the second busiest on the island of Ireland, after Dublin Airport.
How to get from Belfast International Airport to Belfast
Airport Express 300 operates every 15 to 20 minutes on weekdays and weekends. The bus stop is located opposite the terminal exit.
- From the airport to Belfast the bus stops at: Templepatrick, Royal Avenue, and the Belfast Europa Buscentre.
- From Belfast (Europa Buscentre) to the airport the bus stops at Templepatrick and Belfast International Airport.
- The journey takes 30 – 40 min, depending on the traffic.
- Airport to Belfast: £8(single) £11.50 (return)
- Fares from the airport to Templepatrick are £5.40 (single) and £9.70 (return).
- Tickets are can be bought at the tourist information desk in arrivals or directly from the driver.
The International Airport Taxi Company is the official taxi operator for the Belfast airport and it’s available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can find them outside the terminal building, at the taxi rank (Exit lobby). A list of fares is displayed in the Exit hall of the terminal building.
If you don’t like using the public transport and are not a fan of taxi either, consider booking a private transfer which will wait for you at the airport and take you to your hotel or wherever you need to go. The transfer company will send a professional driver to pick you up. You can even order a child safety seat in case you’re traveling with a child.
Renting a car at Belfast International Airport
For those of you who would like to reach the city and explore the area on your own, the best option is to rent a car directly at the airport. There are several car rental companies there, located in the Arrivals hall, so you can choose among Enterprise/National/Alamo, Budget, Europcar and Hertz. Book your car online.
Renting a bus at Belfast International Airport
For larger groups of passengers, consider renting a bus at the airport. However, it is recommended to book it in advance, so the bus rental companies have enough time to advise you on the meeting point and all other information.
From BFS to Lisburn: The Ulsterbus (109A) service operates once an hour from 06:00 a.m. – 07:50 p.m., Monday to Saturday on the route: Lisburn Rail Station – Belfast International Airport and Antrim Buscentre which is situated next to Antrim Train Station.
From BFS to Derry (Londonderry): Airporter operate a scheduled coach service between Belfast International and the northwest seven days a week. The bus offers a free Wi-Fi service.
Accommodation near Belfast International Airport
Belfast International Airport FAQs
- I arrive late at the airport. Will it be a problem for me to get to the city?
No, you can catch the airport shuttle which operates 7 days a week. However, since it’s the only means of transport from the airport to the city centre, if you miss all of them, taxi or transfer are your only option.
- I have an early morning departure from the airport, are there any airport hotels I can stay at?
The closest hotel is Maldron located only 2 minutes on foot from the airport, ideal for leisure and business and offers full service including Park and Fly packages and free Wi-Fi. A bit further away you can check in at Ballyrobin Country Lodge, a centuries old guest house with 20 rooms decorated in boutique style, with delicious food.
- I would like to visit Belfast in between flights. Is that possible?
Yes, the airport is only 22 km away from the city centre, so it will take approximately 30 minutes to reach it. Plan your little trip in advance since you have to rely on the shuttle timetable which departs every hour, or you’ll have to take a taxi and pay extra.
- Can I exchange money at the airport to pay for my transfer?
Yes, you can exchange your money and also pick up some money at the ATM machines at the airport. There are two ICE (International Currency Exchange) bureaus at the airport located in the Landside Departures and International Baggage halls.
- I am continuing my journey outside Belfast. Are there any direct lines to other destinations?
There are direct coaches to Derry and Lisburn. However, if you prefer some other destinations, take the shuttle to the Central Station and see the connections between Belfast and other places in Northern Ireland or look them up online on GetByBus.